Metro Transmission question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by shorty7616, May 6, 2004.

1. shorty7616

shorty7616 LawnSite Member

I posted this question about 1.5 months ago in the exmark forum. Now I thought I would ask everyone on here. Today is the second day that once the Transmission is shifted out of neutral it is EXTREMELY hard to get back into neutral. The first time it happened about 6 weeks ago, I struggled with it. I pretty much gave up on it and thought I would have to take it to the shop to get the teeth replaced. My last resort was spraying WD-40 on the the shifter....IT WORKED PERFECTLY after that.

Well, today same thing again. I put some more WD-40 on it, and after a few seconds of playing with it it worked perfectly again.

Whats going on?
    I have been washing the mower religiously this year(once a week)
    Do I need to just take it to the shop?
    Do I need see if there is enough grease in the tranny?
    Or just stop washing it

Could I have done much damage prying on the shifter?

ANY suggestions greatly appreciated.

2. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Washing it each week could be the problem, make sure you blow dry it or something, rust could be forming, or something like that could be causing it to stick. Wash the deck, I wouldnt bother washing the rest of the mower.

3. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

I would pull the top off the Peerless, and have a look, atleast.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

There are 20 things that could cause a problem with shifting. 19 of them are internal. The only external cause of shifting problems is not properly declutching.

If I had to hazard a guess I would say the shift keys have a problem.

On the question of grease if there isn't a lot of grease leaking from the tranny then it's all still inside of the tranny.

5. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

check to see if the shift handle is loose, mine didn't want to move, because the bolt on top was a little too loose.

6. primecutmo

primecutmo LawnSite Member
    from SWMO

my tranny started doing that when it was on the way out. i had to buy a new one for 250 bucks. i could not find replacement parts for it, and the dealer said it would be cheeper in the long run to replace the whole thing any way. it was easy to swap the old one out with the new one and took about 30 min to get every thing put back together.

7. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Way cheaper to buy another one. Less than 200.00 @ j-thomas, for mine (Metro).

8. shorty7616

shorty7616 LawnSite Member

I think I'll start looking around for a good price on a new tranny, sounds like it would just be my safest bet.......Man this has been an expensive year.

Thanks for the advice