1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

metro ??????????????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by s and s mowing, Nov 21, 2004.

1. s and s mowing

s and s mowing LawnSite Member
    from ky

i tried to back my new metro up the gate on trailer and it wouldnt pull,not even with me pulling too.is this right or do we not have enough belt tension.
  2. fishinman22487

fishinman22487 LawnSite Member

I used to own a metro and had the same problem. Thats why I upgraded to the Viking Hydro.
    What size gate to you have, sometimes the steepness can make it not climb.
    Hope this helps!
  3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

How much do you weigh buddy? Cause you will be manhandling that machine every time you want to load it. Is there anyway you can drive it on forward?

4. scottishmaximus

scottishmaximus LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

The belt drives only have a reverse assist; basically if you want it to go in reverse you have to do it. Exmark had dual idler pulleys on its belt drives at one time which would allow a strong reverse. I suspect it was hurting hydro sales. Snapper still uses the dual idlers on their belt drives.

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

why on earth would you wanna go up the gate in reverse.? just go up forward and turn around on trailer. thats what i do
  6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

That is about all the reverse most belt drives have
  7. cward

cward LawnSite Member

S and S,
    Sounds like you are describing my 32" Gravely. It will only back-up the amount I can pull it. I guess that is another good reason for a hydro.

JPLAWNSERVICE LawnSite Member

I would say that the reason Exmark took off the dual idler pulleys is to keep from running over someone in reverse. Think about it. On a hydro walk, you have to manually pull up on the levers and hold them to get them to back up. If you slipped and fell with a hydro as soon as you let go of the levers, the mower would stop or go forward and not run you over. To get a belt drive to go in reverse you release the levers just like going forward, if it had a positive reverse drive it would run you over if you slipped and fell. I know that they all have ocdc but if the engine is running full throttle it still takes a several feet for a mower to stop if you release them. I would say that is why the reverse assist came about.