mew mower question....help

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by djscott, Apr 19, 2005.

1. djscott

djscott LawnSite Member

I have to admit right off the bat that I'm not in business, least not cutting grass. so I'm what you would call residential, I live in a rural area and used to mow about 4 acres with LOTS of trees, I bought a used dixie chopper 60".
    That was 10 years ago, I just sold the dixie and I'm looking to buy a new mower. I now only mow 1.7 acres still with lots of trees and trimming.
    Call me anally retentive but I still want a "tough" mower, I'm a welder by trade and like having to ability to repair or fab somthing if needed.
    With all that said, I'm leaning tword a Dixie Chopper in the silver eagle seris probley a 50" or should I go with a husqvarna the husky a little bit more money, I even looked at a walker, but the second the guy told me the price I quickly changed my mind, I dont need a big unit but I want it to last and be able to take what ever I throw at it ( which is just mowing but I still want it tough.
    Which one do you guys recomend, you are the pros and deal with this stuff everyday thats why your opinions are the ones I'll listen to.

2. djscott

djscott LawnSite Member

please move to the top

3. djscott

djscott LawnSite Member

please move to the top

4. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

dj, I'm also a homeowner and have the same preference you do about buying things that last. I can't comment on experience as I've never owned either of those units, but I will say that I don't think you can go wrong with either of them. You've already had experience with the Chopper. I've heard very good things about the Husky units. I'm currently using a Gravely walk on my property, but will be upgrading to a z in the future. I've been keeping an eye out and right now I've been extremely impressed with what I've seen with the Lesco Z-two models. They are basically a rebadged Cub Commercial and it seems to be built very tough, all fabricated deck etc....and you can get the 54" w/ a 23 kawi for around $5600 which is a total steal. I'd also check out the Gravely models as well. A bit more $$ but they too are built like a tank. Keep us posted on your findings. In reality, any TRUE commercial unit you chose will serve you for MANY years being used solely for residential. It comes down to features and $. Good luck!!

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Ok dj You more or less answered your own Question ! If you had that many years of good service from your chopper why take a chance with another brand ? I've been a service tech. for a large commercial service center and dealership for 14 years. We have carried husler, Exmark, Gravley, cub and snapper over the years and I have worked on many others, Now we handle the Dixie Chopper, I must say from my experience with the others The chopper makes me feel like the maytag repair man. If I were you I'd RUN at the sight of a Gravley !
    A good size chopper for what you have to mow with all the trees would be the LT2000 with a 44inch deck,Although it is a lower line model It still maintains the High quality commercial deck and spindle assemblys and as you already know its the worlds fastest !!! You mite have a problem trying to find a machine Better than a CHOPPER !
    Let us know what you end up with !

6. Restrorob

HEY dwost you mite want to rethink that cub also,We sold the first 4 of 8 and I was having to replace those fab decks at around 200hrs. with holes blown in them. We sold the last 4 and stopped handling them.
    Why buy that junk if you can get the LT2000 Chopper with the 44 or 50" deck for about the same price and own a real machine ?
    I have a couple commercial users out there that have been mowing 12yrs on the orginal deck.....Thats hard to beat !
    Enough said.
    Hope I've helped you guys out from a technicians view point !

7. Restrorob

OH dwost forgot to mention the cud also has a problem with the joystick struts breaking and they run in the $98.00 range and the deck skin its in the $500.00 range !!!

8. djscott

djscott LawnSite Member

Ok thanks, you got a good point on the DC's . My old one and I went threw alot and the thing was unstoppable.Up until the end(motor had a miss that could'nt be fixed and was getting tired after13 years)any how I sold it and got enough to pay for half of a new silver eagle. try doing that with anything else, car, motorcycle,boat and you'll rarely get 1/2 of what a newone cost.
    So that tells me alot about the product and resell.
    I went after work today a tested a silver eagle...one word, WOW.
    There was no comparrison to my old one. And I'v looked at alot of mowers and none look as sharp as the DC's. So tomarrow or some day this week I'm going to be the proud new owner of a 05 20hp 50" silver eagle. Man is that one sweet machine. :)

9. djscott

djscott LawnSite Member

I did tell the guy that bought my old one about the miss and that she was getting tired, I was honest and he was fine with everything. Did'nt want anyone thiking I pulled a fast one.

10. Restrorob

Glad to hear you are making a wise choice, D/C is the highest ranked machine on the market for resale or trade-in value !

And you will be wearing a smile for years to come.
    Have fun with your new D/C.