1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Meyer Zoysia in way northern NY

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by andygold, Mar 21, 2006.

1. andygold

andygold LawnSite Member

Was thinking about buying the Meyer plugs you see being sold in magazines. They say it's a slow grower and thick. From reading the pro forum, everyone seems to be saying the opposite as to it's growth rate and that it must be bagged. All of the pros though seem to be from down south where it's much warmer. Anyone use the Meyer Zoysia up north? What results did you get? Did it grow extremely fast, or slow like the ads say? What height are you cutting it to? Are you bagging or side discharging? If I plug it like they recommend at 1 foot intervals, how long should it take to choke out everything else.

My front lawn is mostly short grass and broadleaf weeds. I've used the pre-M products but the weeds/clover/broadleaf/dandelions keep coming up anyway. The soil is I'm guessing pretty salty as the trucks spread it a few times a week all winter long (about 6 months). The soil is also pretty hard, I was thinking on loosening it up with some pelletized gypsum (also helps with salt damage).

Any thoughts?