Meyers plow pivots

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by yortengel, Mar 12, 2000.

1. yortengel

yortengel LawnSite Member

I have a meyers plow that seems for pivot back to fare. the springs get loose. Is this normal??. I have found that it pivots back so far that it blows snow over the truck when plowing, and makes back pulls less effective. I have been thinking of ways for repair this condition. I have noticed that fisher and western don't seem to have these problems. any advise would be great. thanks.

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Its time to reinforce the trip pivot point brackets and stop plate.If you dont you will tear the plow all the way over like I did with 3 different meyers setups.I avoid them now,the light weight is nice,but strenth is more important than 40lbs.You should be able to fix it up without to much trouble,good luck.<p>----------<br>John D<br>

3. John DiMartino

Its time to reinforce the trip pivot point brackets and stop plate.If you dont you will tear the plow all the way over like I did with 3 different meyers setups.I avoid them now,the light weight is nice,but strenth is more important than 40lbs.You should be able to fix it up without to much trouble,good luck.<p>----------<br>John D<br>

4. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Talk to chuck he has got the best info on Meyer blades around. I am not sure if i understand whats wrong with your plow, but maybe try adjusting or replacing the springs ( i might not understand the problem right so that advice might be a load of bs)<p>Yortengel,<p>For your next plow move up to the Diamond. I don't think you will ever have any structural support problems with a Diamond.<p>Geoff

5. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Ok I think he is refering to the moldboard pivoting on the a frame sector. <br>AKA when it trips forward<br>Why it is leaning back towords the truck I dont know. I have seen this before, there is a truck that i go by everyday that has this very problem. I can only think that the trip springs are to loose.Or that the pivot points need to be replaced and have consequently rotated in the mounts.<br>BTW replace those pivot pins if you can, they will rust up and shear off one day during a storm. I know cause it happened.<br>Dino <p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

6. yortengel

Well thanks for the info. I have already replaced the pins, Yes it happened to me. Twice. The first time it had a frozen pin, and the second time I busted the pivot off the blade. I had to wait untill the snow melted to find the Pivot. 1 or 2 hours with an arc welder fixed that problem. I think the the pivot tubes are split on the A-fram side of the unit. Has any one out there ever replace then? Looks like a job for the saws-all and the arc welder. I am not looking forward to this task. <br>Thanks again.

7. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

How old is the blade. if it is over 15 yrs old, you might want to find another blade for your primary and use this as a back up. Over time the steel seems to get fatigued and the amount of welding that needs to be done rises dramitcally. Plus always good to have an extra blade around in case this happens during a storm.<br>Another reason to stay with all the same brand plow.<br>We have an extra uni mount plow, and extra meyer plows. A meyer plow blade is pretty cheap, I bought 2 plow blades(7.5 and 8.0) for $ 350.00 both needed paint, but were in good shape.<br>Look when driving around, lots of times someone has one in the weeds and 100$ will look real good to them. <br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

8. John DiMartino

I have replaced all the pivot tubes,and rebuilt the whole plow before,it was 10 years ago,so the details are a little foggy.I gave up on meyer a long time ago,for that reason.I still have the plow buried in my tall weeds,maybe Ill throw a chain on it and pull it out with the loader and take a look again.I remember a lot of swearing,welding and the torch and hammer were well worn when I finished.I used a lenth of pipe ,I'm not sure,but I think it was 1&quot;,i slid it into a bigger pipe and welded all the bigger pieces in place of the original that I torched off the blade.The 1&quot; became the pin,one big pin about 5 ft long with twice the strenth and 2 extra pivots on the blade.I never broke it again,I wish you luck,it is a PITA job.Next time buy Diamond/Fisher/Boss/Western is stronger.I dont feel the meyer is up to commercial plowing unless you baby it and dont have heavy trucks.<p>----------<br>John D<br>

9. Mike Plow

Mike Plow LawnSite Member

when the flat stock behind the sector,<br>on the moldboad bends forward the sector<br>flips and the moldboard bends back.<br>if pivots pins are not broken.to many<br>hard trips it bends on the return.depends<br>how bad it is bent you can weld stops on<br>sector or bace front of sector.<p>

10. yortengel

Mike, I think you hit it on the nose. I have two blades ( because they brake) and will will make this repair. Question? has anybody installed a shock on a meyers plow? (like western and a few others) <br>Thanks again for all your input.<br>Troy