MFT blades

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by nmurph, Jul 26, 2007.

1. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

what blades (PN's and MSRP's std, gator, fusion, mulch, etc.....) are available for the mft 42. is there a new blade (std?) that has the cutting edge nearly to the center?
    also, what is the size of the hole? i would like to make a blade balancer using a bearing (5/8"?).

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Here are your blade options, I don't have MSRP pricing to post, check with your dealer for pricing.

Side discharge 793794 (stock blade on your unit, non Fusion)
    Catching 793935 (this is a very high lift blade)
    Mulching 794214 (wavy style)
    Gator 794230
    Side discharge 600901 Fusion (this is the blade that comes on the Mini Z 42 and has a edge sharpened almost to the center)

The blade bolt is .625, so you need to be near that measurement for a blade balancer.

3. nmurph

from ga

pj,
    for clarity, the Side discharge 793794 (stock blade on your unit, non Fusion)
    is not sharpened to the center? i have a new dealer in town, a month or so ago i bought a set of what must be the fusion blades. i questioned him about the edge to the center. he said that was the new blade for the mft. the blades cost me $9 and change for the set, they cost me $18 last year at the previous dealer. i stopped in wednesday to get another set for backup and he wanted $31 for the exact same blade. i questioned them as to whether this was the Fusion blade and the shop boy insisted it was not. the dealer had a non-Hustler blade (Rotary) that had the same hole size and blade width, but have a notched sail and are about 1/4" shorter overall, for $21. it only has the cutting on the last 4" or so, which is what i was familiar with from the original 2-3 sets that i have had. he said they had "discovered this blade would work when a mft came in with a set on it. i took a set bc of the price difference. i would have paid the $10 difference for the Fusion, but i thought i was getting ripped. my gut was to buy several sets at the $9 price when i thought i was only getting a "regular" blade. i guess i should have trusted my gut.

4. fishinpa

fishinpa LawnSite Senior Member
    from SE PA

nmurph, I went down to my local dealer and bought a set of 20.5" mulching blades, and like them so much I use them with the chute up and deck cover off. Cuts a nice fine discharge and I think there a bit heavier duty than the OEM's I replaced. I've taken them off a few times to sharpen them and they really didn't need more than a hand filing. I think they were 18.00 to 22.00 for the set. I ran the numbers off of them through the web an came back with nothing so I can't pass 'exact' info on manufacturer to you. I'd be more than glad to grab and send you a set if you want to cover all costs.

Let me know.

5. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

They didn't used to be, I will make sure that is still the case.
    As to the blades your dealer is getting, are you sure they are Hustler part #'s?

6. nmurph

from ga

i am positive they are Hustler, i saw him open the box.

7. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Ok.
    Just double checking.

Pj