MFT blow out kit effectiveness

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by GLP, Apr 10, 2007.

  1. GLP

    GLP LawnSite Member
    Posts: 3

    I just cut the grass for the first time with my new MFT with the mulch kit this past Sunday and was just covered with leaves, dust, and debris.

    I ordered the blow out kit first thing Monday morning, but wanted to hear from anyone who's installed this "option" to see how well they really work. What percent reduction in blow out might I reasonably expect?
    Thanks.

    PS.
    I posted this on the homeowner's forum, but haven't gotten any responses.
     
  2. mowerconsultant

    mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY
    Posts: 9,761

    You will notice a considerable difference, not 100% because of varying cutting conditions but a huge difference will be noticed.

    Pj
     
  3. RoeJ

    RoeJ LawnSite Member
    Posts: 7

    GLP,

    Please post your results after installing the blowout kit. My neighbor just bought a MFT and has terrible blow out. I am in the market for a small ZTR and the MFT is the leading candidate. If this kit can solve the blowout, everthing else seems solid.

    PJ,
    BTW, how much is the add on blowout kit and what is the part number for the 36".

    Thanks.
     
  4. timmac

    timmac LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 479

    I have a blow out kit but do not have it on. Should I have it on my super z if I am not using a mulch kit? thanks
     
  5. djk

    djk LawnSite Member
    Posts: 8

    I installed the blow-out kit on my 36 inch MFT this weekend. Also installed left mulching blade (previously had installed right mulching blade). The result is a big reduction in dirt thrown up. If you are mulching, you need this kit. Installation requires drilling two 13/32 inch holes and the template doesn't fit properly because of interference with a weld on the frame by the left tire (where the notch in the template is supposed to fit).
    It seems to me this kit is so necessary that it either should be included on the new mower or that at least the holes should be predrilled on the deck.
    Anyway I am now much happier with my mower.
     
  6. GLP

    GLP LawnSite Member
    Posts: 3

    Thanks for the responses. I will report back the changes once I try the mower with kit installed. I paid $42.00 for the kit for my MFT with a 36"deck. DJK I'm very concerned about your problem with the template. While I'm comfortable with the mechanics of the install, your problem concerns me. Can you ellaborate?

    Thanks.
     
  7. mowerconsultant

    mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY
    Posts: 9,761


    Kit, Mini Fastrak Air Flow/Blow Out Kit 36" part # 101840 MSRP $42.00
     
  8. mowerconsultant

    mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY
    Posts: 9,761

    It cant hurt to try it, in drier times of the year it will reduce the dust flying out the front of the deck.

    Pj
     
  9. fishinpa

    fishinpa LawnSite Senior Member
    from SE PA
    Posts: 293

    I had installed the discharge chute cover (mulch kit) last year. Just before the fall came it was kinda dry and that's when I got covered with debris coming from under the front of the deck. I ordered the kit (my dealer had not heard of it) and quite frankly, forgot about the whole issue after it was installed. I does make such a HUGE difference that it should be included with the cover, and a set of blades as a 'complete' mulching kit. I believe this issue has been discussed here a few times already.

    You won't be disappointed once it's installed.
     
  10. djk

    djk LawnSite Member
    Posts: 8

    To the person who asked about the problem with installation of the kit - the good news is the machine has a really substantial deck and big solid welds. Making 2 big holes in the deck was a task beyond my little Master Mechanic drill. I had a borrow a much better drill to do the job. The template has a notch on the bottom right that is supposed to fit against part of the deck. It didn't quite fit because of the size of the weld, so using the template was harder than it should be. Add to that the fact that I was lying on the ground trying to drill under the foot rest part of the mower, so I got one of the holes slightly off. The blow-out kit still fits and works well, but one end of it is maybe one eighth of an inch lower than it should be. If I was doing it again, I would make a cardboard template from the metal template supplied with the kit, then cut away the part around the weld to get it in exactly the right position.
    It's nothing to worry about - you just need to be more careful than I was.
     

Share This Page