mft mulching help

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by rlh149, Oct 16, 2005.

1. rlh149

rlh149 LawnSite Member

I would like to see if PJ or anyone of the other experienced mft owners can help me out. I purchased the mft with the home owner in mind. I have been mulching my grass for a lot of years with a self propelled John Deer and have always liked the results I have gotten. Now that I have gotten older and my old body aches from so much walking I purchased the mft (after long and hard searching) Now when ever I use the mft the grass clippings blow all over the place. On me up on the lawn mower and I wind up with a good 3 to 4 inches on the deck. Also it leave grass trails all over the yard. If I am doing something wrong I would like to be informed, I have the 15/36 and I have tried both the gator blades and the factory blades with the same result. I have used the mft 5 times now and the results are always the same. I and the lawn mower are covered in grass. I don't run wide open but the blades are at full throttle. Any Ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    rlh149

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

How tall is the grass and how much of it are you mulching (taking off) in one pass?
    Your general rule of thumb when mulching is 1/3 of the grass height is to be taken off.

Pj

3. rlh149

rlh149 LawnSite Member

With the majority of the grass being dormant I do not believe I am trying to cut more than 1/3, I am just curious if I maybe going to slow or if I should cut back on the engine speed? The air movement from the blades is allot.
    rlh149

4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Never cut back the engine speed, the mower is designed with the engine speed to be full throttle when cutting.

Pj