MHIC in Maryland

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by shaughnessylawn, Feb 18, 2005.

1. shaughnessylawn

shaughnessylawn LawnSite Member

Hi Can anyone help me with info to study so I can attempt the test thank you

2. shaughnessylawn

shaughnessylawn LawnSite Member

alittle helpppppppp!!!!! please

3. rdt

rdt LawnSite Member
    from 27743

There are a few things you should know first.

1. Have you applied for the MHIC Lic.
    If not then go to www.md.gov. there you will find all the steps you must take before you can qualify for a MHIC Lic. It is a long process, but the test is all open book. The study material they will provide for you. Every application and form you will need will be online. You can download all the forms to send back to them. And yes, have a lot of money in your banking account, because its not cheap.

4. CrewCutEnterprises

CrewCutEnterprises LawnSite Senior Member

hey, a lil help here too.

Im almost done my MDA (pest lic) 1 year of work then test

for the MHIC dont you have to have 2 years of experience with a contractor??
    before you can even take the test??

5. Scag52inch

Scag52inch LawnSite Member

I worked for someone for three years in Md who never had MHIC Liscense. Most of the landscape/lawn maintaince trucks that I saw didnt have MHIC numbers on the side maybee some of the big companys did though. Mostly all construction trucks had it. Where I worked at we did mostly maintaince but did some landscaping. We did a good bit of commercial work and I don't ever remember getting asked about MHIC liscense. Im not telling you not to get it just letting you know I was never questioned about it.

6. CrewCutEnterprises

Thanks scag. But around here in Annapolis Everything is high end. From ferrari's to lambo's to 5 mil houses on 25 acres to even bently. Not saying martinsburg has less class. Ive been there and i would rather live there(bought a truck at just trucks)

Here all the (major) companies are logoed and have US dot #'s MHIC# and MDA #. There are people who run around doing things illegally and they dont get caught. but thats not me. I would rather be legit. For now i sub out all my heavy work

7. mdmowerman

mdmowerman LawnSite Member
    from 20833

how much$$$$ are we talking? what kind of stuff do you have to fork out $$$ for when getting taking the test which i heard was a few hundred?

8. CrewCutEnterprises

its like 54 $ to take the test and like 200 or 300 for the license for the first time and a renewal is like 190 or so. its not that expensive.

Under 500 every 2 years.

9. Scag52inch

The company I worked for was in Frederick Md. I know its not annapolis but they definately have some rich folk. I agree if I lived in Md or worked in Md for myself I would want MHIC as well.

10. Scag52inch

We also serviced a lady who had 2 jags and a bently. she never drove the bently it just sat in her garage collecting dust! :)