Mi Fert License Exam

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by esshaki, Jan 3, 2006.

1. esshaki

esshaki LawnSite Member

recently i posted a thread saying that i have the necessary paperwork to get a license. i would really like to get an idea of what to expect on this exam, i havent schedule one yet but would really like a heads up on what to look for.

Thanks in advance

Michael

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Where are you at so far? What do you have for paperwork?

3. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I see from your previous thread that you are going after 3a, 3b & 6.
    You must pass the core section A first, then the 3 test, then after that unless you are working for someone else, you must meet 1 of 3 requirements to be able to license as a business, these are not something that can be gathered with out a lot of time spent being educated in real application environment, ( on the job experiance) simply passing the test is not going to get you the right to commercially apply, unless it is for a licensed business.
    you also, need a minimium 300,000.00 liability insurance. With Pest specified,for the right of way portion of the license.
    Now about the test, read the books about 4 or 5 times and you should have no problem, the test are all multi choice and true/false, there is Questions refering to every chapter and, be sure you know the laws.
    that is about all the pretest info. I am willing to disclose.
    Michigan has very strict requirements that are not easy to meet unless you have a strong history.
    read the books and study, If you know what you are doing it should not be a problem for you to pass.
    Good luck to you.
    Oh ya, I forgot to mention the business license is another 100 bucks.

4. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

ok, had a change of heart,
    Print and read these laws,act 24, 451, 636, 637, I don't remember if 633 has any questions about it or not that are not covered in the books.
    Either way you should have a copy of these in your truck at all times.
    http://www.michigan.gov/mda/0,1607,7-125-1569_16988_35291---,00.html
    Here's the requirements to become a licensed business. Which you will need before you can legally apply on your own.
    http://www.michigan.gov/mda/0,1607,7-125-1569_16988_35288---,00.html
    Ok, Now that is all the pretest info I'm going to give.
    that ought to be plenty for you to chew on for a while.
    Have fun and good luck.

5. esshaki

esshaki LawnSite Member

I have all the necessary paperwork filled out completely, and i have not yet returned it to the state because im actually preparing for the test. i really appreciate the help. thanks

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

What I meant was, do you already have your certifications, or is this what you're preparing to do? I hope you're not confusing the certifications and registration with the actual licensing. If you are getting ready to take your core exam, and then your certs, (atleast 3a, 3b, and 6 are recommended), then as Stumper said, there are some other things you need to know. In Michigan, you are to hold these certifications and work under a licensed company for no less than 2 years before being able to apply for a business license, yourself. The only other alternatives to this, would be to have a Bachelor degree in Turf Management, or some other related agricultural field with one year experience with another company, or hire a full time CERTIFIED APPLICATOR - (NOT a certified TECHNICIAN), who has the experience to be licensable, to your company who can hold a license for you. The info that Stumper gave is all very good and I haven't looked, but I'm willing to bet that the links he gave will have all the necessary info on them for you. Either way, good luck with it, and if there is anything I can be of help with, feel free to ask.

7. esshaki

esshaki LawnSite Member

now im am starting to understand this alittle better, the lady at the office in southfield kinda confused me, and to answer the questions i do not have any certifications, this is totally new to me, the only reason i would like to persue this is because i feel its something that would be a good addition to increase alittle $$$ flow...

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, they definitely have you jumping through the hoops on this one. Some states are easier, and some states are a bit harder. I think Florida has the most demanding qualifications of any other state, but Michigan is right up there. They are TIGHT, and have probably one of the strongest enforcement programs there are. They have alot of agents and inspectors, but that's ok. That is set up for EVERYones' protection.

9. dvog99

dvog99 LawnSite Member

i LIVE IN NJ and i am trying to get all the proper certs and liences.I feel like im going to college for a doctorate degree. they sure dont make it easy.

10. esshaki

esshaki LawnSite Member

yeh they really dont make it easy, i have realized that its not something that can be done overnight, but its really worth it to get licensed