Michigan...Anyone near the Mt. Pleasant area?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Runner, Jul 13, 2001.

1. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It looks like I may be making a serious move up to Mt. Pleasant, and we're wanting to relocate the business there. Is anyone of here from around there? My girlfriend is teaching at the university, and wants to be involved with the business which will be a MAJOR help.
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Just asking again. Yesterday, I went and visited the local Exmark dealer, (not even CLOSE to being like my dealer here) but he assured me he has demos available for warranty work, and stocks quite a few parts. Judging by his showroom though, (pretty small) I'm really not sure. My girlfriend reassured me by saying. "Well, we'll still be going down to the Flint area, too." Anyway, there are hardly any lco's up there, and none even close to our caliber. There IS alot of work up there, alot of money, and alot of places that look like they could really use some help. I wondered if maybe it would be a good idea to try the university (Central Michigan) to see how the hiring of grounds maintenance workers works there. When I told my girlfriend about this idea, she told me exactly what department and who to talk to about it, so next time up, we went to the facilities management department and I was fortunate enough to speak to the head of that department. He told me where to apply,and such, and then when I told him that I was thinking of relocating,owned a business here in Flint, have about 20 years experience in landscaping and grounds maintenance, his eyes just sort of lit up, and he asked us to step into his office. He gave me some paperwork, and low and behold, a posting had just been made for a full time category SM-4 grounds care worker. This was strange, because these jobs very rarely come up, I am told. This position offers an excellent benefit package, good pay, and several other benefits including education and advancement. He noted my name, and said no need to fill out an application, just submit a resume before the deadline (last Friday - completed). Well, now I just wait two to three weeks for a call. This would be a position I would really enjoy, and because of the hours, would be able to successfully run my business (to a degree) as well. The only thing is now, is that my girlfriend wants me to take one of her classes this semester. Talk about homework! :rolleyes: In the meantime, I'll just keep praying. I'll let you all know how it turns out!
  3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Good luck Runner, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. :D

This sounds like a great offer and I hope it all works out for you. ;)
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Thank you, Eric. I have to say, though, I find it HARD to believe that NOone from that area is on here (yet).
  5. Bob_McNaughton

Bob_McNaughton LawnSite Member

Know that mount pleasant is somewhat a lower to lower middle income area. Housing costs are low, but employment pay is low to match it. I've got several relatives up in that area.

This might affect what you can charge for services and lawns.
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks, Bob. You know, I wasn't REALLY sure, because the rent rates seem to be REAL reasonable. This is going to be strange starting all over again from scratch. Taking whatever work I can get at a reasonable rate at first. Hopefully, I can build back up again without too much problem from lowballers. I'm somewhat confident that it won't take TOO long for my reputation to take root up there. (hopefully) Where in Michigan are you at?
  7. Finecut

Finecut LawnSite Member
    from IL

Just curious, I was reading your post and I thought you made a post in the past that said this relationship is history...is this the same lady? And if it is, your going to throw caution to the wind and leave your business behind? Not ridiculing...but curious minds want to know.
  8. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I am about 1.5 hrs from Mt pleasant. Been there a few times.

Making a donation to the local Indians:D

Good Luck
  9. KV

KV LawnSite Member

Well I am about an hour or so away I live in Brooklyn. But remember there is alot of money floating around up there with all the self made business and also the casio, brings in alot of money to the community and economy up there! But good luck and hope it works out! Central is a cool school! It's know as the fun school!

KJ's Lawncare
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

No, this isn't the same lady. This one as it turns out is the "love of my life" from about 10 years ago. We were together, and had one of those relationships that we were just "lost" in each other. I mean, we would go out somewhere, like dancing or to hear a band, go in and sit down, be talking, and like 15 minutes later, we would look around, and they would be putting chairs up on tables!!! Time to go! We would think; What happened? Where did the time go? Also it was kind of weird, because we would have people just appoach us out of the blue, like these older folks standing in line at the ice cream place tell us. "You two make a wonderful couple." This happened several times. (Strange, we thought) Anyway, some things happened, and she went through some very bad tragedies (loss of immediate family) in her life all at once within like a two month period. Shortly after that, she relocated to CMU to continue her studies up there, and we just sort of lost touch. Since then she has completed her program, has been teaching up there, and was just awarded a full time professorship. Well, her brother (who I happened to run into across town) talked me into calling her, saying she would really like to hear from me, so I did. Well, she called back, we talked, (alot) and made arrangements and had dinner. Since then, we have moved CAUTIOUSLY in a forward direction, and I'm firmly believing it's God's will. The WHOLE THING. I just want to say, thank you everybody for your advice, your warmest wishes and your concern. Incidentally, she's looking forward to meeting everyone on here too, as I have told her all about LS, so we MAY even have ANOTHER new member as well. That's one of the BIG pluses about her, is that she's always loved this work and wants to be involved with the company - as she just simply states that "she really loves my passion for the work." Thanks again.