Michigan Bulk Mulch

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by PB34, Feb 4, 2005.

1. PB34

PB34 LawnSite Member

Doing some planning for 2005. I normally purchase mulch from the local nursury, however I would like to purchase bulk mulch here in Michigan. Does anyone know where to purchase bulk mulch in Michigan, directly from a manufacturer or wholesale co?

Thanks

2. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

Onyx in Salme township
    or
    Kamps in taylor

Kamps seems to be cheaper than onyx this year.

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

just out of curiousity how much do you guys pay per yard?

4. Groundcover Solutions

I can give you last years price... Each year we have to sign a new agrement and it is confidential so I can't say what we are paying this year.
    Last year was around 16.50 per yard due to the amount of material we pull from there site.

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I see, so basically he gives you a break because you are buying in larger volumes. But what does he normally charge though lets say for a regular homeowner?

6. ltlm

ltlm LawnSite Member

we pay 22.00 for a 3yrd scoop

7. stxkyboy

stxkyboy LawnSite Member

Just out of curiosity how much are you ordering to get 16.50 a yard because that is the price i pay when i order 40yrds (and i know you have to be doing alot more volume than that). Is mulch really that much cheaper down here in cincinnati?

8. Groundcover Solutions

I get the lower price due to the anuale volume we do with them. I normaly pull around 60 yards per load and that is usualy two times per day. When we are doing playground material I can pull about 3 to 4 loads per day. As far as home owner I will have to check my price list. I belive it was not much more mabey 17 per yard. Although home owners can not go through this yard, now that i think of it. This is a wholesale yard for commercial contractors only. You need to set up an account and need two credit refferances. and the 17 would be for the small loads... under 100yds per load. we get the 100 yard ability due to our anual volume.

9. packmate81

packmate81 LawnSite Member

i think that you guys are comparing apples and oranges. the $16 dollar mulch is collored enhanced. Hardwood mulch would like 9 or 10 per yard and the square chips would 5 or 6 per yard.
    I also cant give out my pricing, I think we both deal with kamps, but that is the price for joe blow contractor

10. Groundcover Solutions

every area is going to differ, even in the same state. The other owner of my company is a kamp. So i deal pretty closely with them. but last years prices were 16.50 for hardwood i know kamps i more expensive for colored onyex is about a doller cheaper. i don't know abou the square chips... they would never come out of my truck, that would be a huge mess.