Michigan Contractors Beware of MCLI

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by turfman59, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

All of us have pissed someone off...is that what you meant?

2. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

Let me give you the conversation from one of the IA reps at the MNLA legistlative update seminar...IA rep say " well my constituents feel that the license should be $5000.00 the higher the better" at that moment I bit a hole through the inside of my mouth trying to keep quiet.. The next thing its mentioned that" everyone feels that the state of michigan should do the regulating" much like the pesticide business" and one of my all time favorites is when a member of the inititiative who is a contractor that does over 1 million a year in sale who is on the forum says" that our industry is in need of a overhaul because of unscrupulous contractors" when I heard that all I could think about was OK jerk If anyone is doing less than lets say $100,000 a year in sales than I am sure there in that catergory...Totally blew my mind how people want to run to the government for protection when competition gets tough....

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

The licensing will have to pay for itself, obviously. By the way, what do plumbers pay for their Michigan licenses?

4. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Are there any current regulations for MI? Or is it unregulated?

5. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

From what I just read at the posted link, totally unregulated.

Turfman, where did that $5K figure come from?

How much is licensing in TX, CO, etc.?

6. turfman59

The plumbers just asked the state to increase it from 150.00 to 300.00. I should say the Plumbers union

7. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

In Texas you must take the Landscape Irrigator Basic Training Course ($450) before you can test to get the license.
    The licensing test is $111 (I think). It was less when I took it.
    Of course maintaining the license requires 8 CEU's a year. I just renewed my license (3 years) for $111.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  8. turfman59

as I said before. the rep from the IA said that all the contractors want it, I am not opposed to it but the way its written now I could wipe with it but nothing else... I would like to see some small form of Regulation from the State but I would leave it to the counties or larger municipalitys to Permit it and Inspect if necessary...Keep the State out of the business of inspecting is my thoughts.... If I am going to pay for a license and have to put up with the State, then I better be able to hang the Backflow preventer. Give me something for my license other than calling me a Master*&%$# if you know what I mean....

9. turfman59

Who does the inspecting or do they just come out on complaints??????

10. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

The city does the inspecting. The state agency investigates complaints.