1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Michigan lawn companies

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Groundcover Solutions, Feb 3, 2001.

1. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

I would like to know what you guys charge for an average lawn. I charge $18 for a normal size lot to $25 for a corner lot. I was told by some other lawn care business that I was not charging enough but I do not know if they just don’t want me to get more biz or if they are sincerely trying to help me out. Any information would be of great assistance!!
  2. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

Charge more! That's cheap. Good Luck.
  3. RYAN

RYAN LawnSite Member

I worked for a large lawn company in Ann Arbor in college and I would say thier average price was around 25 or so for a regular size yard. Some were more some were less.
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know what you guys call a "normal" sized lawn, but most subdivision lots around my area are about 1/2 acre. These lots usually go for around 30-35 dollars but some of them will be increasing this year. If it's a real small lot, we still have a 30 dollar minimum for the stop. These prices are of course only for the small sub lots.
  5. Eager Beaver

Eager Beaver LawnSite Member

We have a minimum of 35.00. You have to take into consideration a lot of factors such as location( distance from your home base) fuel costs,labor, equipment needs, and I can go on and on. Each company has a differant criteria to set their profit margins. Set a rate for square ft. get a measuring stick and measure each lot. After awhile you will get the feel for each type of situation. Good luck
  6. Jason

Jason LawnSite Senior Member

I do a corner lot in town and get $25 for that it takes
    about 1/2 hour by my self. I have another one thats
    4440 sq.ft. but has a steep bank that i get 25 for.
  7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Whats the going rate for a lawn in da U.P. hey?
  8. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I bid everything by the hr. over the years ive become good at looking at a lawn & determining how long it will take, trees, landscapes, shape, size, irrigation, will i have to double cut, ect. all determine time. i do a private runnway (2 acers) as fast as i can do some residentials (10-20000 sqft) with endless trees and turns. every time you turn your not mowing. I figure about $50.00/hr thats one person and a lazer 60" For$18.00 i could send one person for 21 minutes to complete (thats from putting the truck in park till i put it in drive) or two people for 10 min. at $25.00 that would be 1-30 min. or 2-15 min. If i could do the job in that time then it wouldn't be too cheap.
  9. Eric Green

Eric Green LawnSite Member

I'm in Westland and I charge $20 to $25 for small lawns and I have a minimum of $30 for corner lots. If I can get more I do.If you quote high first, judge their reaction and then try to meet in the middle and make sure you are still coming out with the price you want. Hope this helps!

10. Eric Green

Eric Green LawnSite Member

This is off the topic or maybe a different thread but since you have come here ,for all of you Michigan-ders ,does anyone collect tax for mowing services?