1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Michigan LCO's!!! 6% service tax!!!!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Phaneuf, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Phaneuf

Phaneuf LawnSite Member

Leave it to Granholm to balance the state budget at the expense of small business owners. Not only do I now have to add a 6% tax to my services but there was also a 2% increase in income tax! Giving the state of the economy and when $5 can make or break a deal with some homeowners, I'm concerned as to how this will affect business in the long run.

What other states have tax on services?

How do other Michigan LCO's feel about this new tax?
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

She's an idiot. Go to the Networking forum - and then in the Michigan section, and there is plenty more information.
  3. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Ohios had it. It's just a pain setting that money aside and having one (well 2 because its collected twice a year) more form to fill out and send in.
  4. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

6.5% over here.

one word.......CASH
  5. Tinkerer

Tinkerer LawnSite Senior Member

And Minnesota has had mowing sales tax since 1986. At 6.5%. In the 90s I mowed in Rochester Minnesota. They at the time had their own additional .5% sales tax for the city. So in the city limits I had to charge 7%,, outside it was 6.5%. I ask the sales tax dept for a map or something and they offered no help. Same with the city. They said I gotta ask the customer. Lots of tightwads in Rochester so when in question they don't want to know they live in city limits. Several explatives I would like to use for this thread.
  6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I pay 5.5% every month to the state. That is added on to the bill so if its 100 a month they pay 105.50 and the 5.5 goes to the state. My inlaws are from Michigan, you guys got a doozie there.
  7. Pro-Turf  LLC

Pro-Turf LLC LawnSite Member

6.65% here thanks to the stupid twins stadium that hennepin county gets to pay for....so does that mean we are the only ones allowed to go to the games sense we are paying for it and no other counties are?
  8. coobie

coobie LawnSite Member

Michigan is getting to be a pain in the a$$ to live in and make ends meet anymore.Back in the late 70,s early 80,s they had a saying(LAST ONE OUT OF MICHIGAN SHUT THE LIGHTS OFF):laugh:
  9. sedge

sedge LawnSite Fanatic

Just wait if Hillary gets elected, then you will see what a sucky economy we will have and all the extra tax we can pay... oh goodie, just can hardly wait...... No Democrat has a right to post on here about taxes....... You voted for them, so you get what you wanted........
  10. thelawnboss

thelawnboss LawnSite Member

With this new tax in michigan, this is my guess. I bet we do see a decline in the amount of new business at the least if not a drop in old business, on the resi side. Alot of homeowners are just sick of it.

commercial accounts i dont think will be changing all that much, because they have to have their upkeep no matter what.

I do think that ALL areas will be hurt some in the form of landscaping and "extra" work.

Like i said it is just my guess, been in it for about 12 years, and it just getting worse every year right now. Just hope we find a way to stay around until it is over. Good luck to all you guys.