1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Michigan LCO's - Turfgrass school

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Grassmechanic, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Dec 8-12 at MSU. Intensive, hands-on, 5 day course taught by MSU tufrgrass staff. Includes a wide range of turfgrass management topics to include: basic soils and soil management, turfgrass species identification, selection and physiology, turf establishment and renovation, fertilization, proper pesticide usage, and sprayer calibration. A significant portion of this course is dedicated to weed, insect, and disease indentification and management. Cost of the program is $775 with a $50 deposit by Nov. 28 to confirm your registration. Classes start at 8am and end at 9pm. Call Greg Lyman at 517-355-0860 for more info.

If you want to greatly increase your turf knowledge, these classes are for you! MSU professors are some of the best in the country and the knowledge they will share with you is well worth the expense. If you want stay ahead of your competition, these mini schools are a great way to learn a lot of info in a short amount of time.
  2. Southpaw

Southpaw LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

That sounds like a great idea. It would sure beat the hell out of the small engine repair class I took at the local community college. My teacher (not professor) could hardly spell his own name. That MSU class may sound like a lot of money in tuition fees, but think of the wealth of knowledge you could gain from such a quick seminar!!
  3. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

But to commit almost $800 during what could be snow season, I just can not do it. :(
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

MSU is great, but for 800 bucks, I'll stick to my private instructor here in my hometown.
  5. LawnCrafters

LawnCrafters LawnSite Member

Sounds like a great class, but I would be worried that it might snow.
  6. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya, 800 isnt in the budget right now:(
  7. Grassmechanic

Where else can you getting almost 50 hours of university instruction for $775? From the knowledge you'll gain from this seminar, you'll reap 10 times the tuition cost.
  8. Moguy

Moguy LawnSite Member

Thanks for the heads up Grassmechanic. I was considering a course through the PLCAA but, I prefer the face to face training and that course through MSU sounds great. Isnt education a tax write off for business?
  9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

$800 is too high for me
  10. Grassmechanic