Michigan lco's:When are you going to start mowing?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by millsmowing, Apr 16, 2003.

1. millsmowing

millsmowing LawnSite Member

After the 80 degree temps on monday and tuesday I thought the grass would take off, but that hasn't happened.

I am about 20 miles north of Lansing and was hoping to get going friday but with the cold temps now and the dry conditions I doubt thats going to happen.

Last year I started on the 13th and I'm anxious to get going again. All my clean-ups are done and i'm tired of staring at the walls waiting for the grass to grow.

Where in Michigan are you located and when do you anticipate your mowing season to begin.

2. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I'm about 30 miles north of Mt. Pleasant, I have about 5 more clean-ups to do. I did a clean-up in Mt. Pleasant, yesterday, and its greening up pretty good there, but windy and rain and sleet is in the forecast, so I would say maybe 1-1.5 weeks hopefully a week down in Mt. Pleasant. I started about the 2 or 3rd week of april last year.

3. I`m 50 miles paralell to port sanilac, and the weather was great yeasterday the digital thermometor beside the computer said 31 degrees cesius outside the window, now it says 2.5 degrees, ( in metric water freezes at 0 degrees) if we could get some rain i`d say by next week , but if it stays the same i`d say a week and a half to 2 weeks? i`ve done clean ups but i`m really wanting to do some mowin bad:blob4: lets hope we get some rain.

4. Just Cut

Just Cut LawnSite Member

I am from Grand Rapids area and hope to start next week,

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Located in Clare..in the Central Michigan area. Was planning on starting this Friday, but looks like it won't be until Monday for me. I was just down in Grand Rapids on Saturday and I couldn't believe how much greener the grass is down there...lucky.

6. about 60-70 percent of the grass here is green but hasn`t got very tall the rest has not come out of being dorment , or is dead, some spots are taller and some are still brown so cutting will be aukward because ur really only cutting 3/4 of the grass, i was by some of my balldiamonds the other day and by a small park i do and they had 60 percent of the grass dorment still but still quite tall from when i stopped cutting in october , i`m wondering should i cut off the long stuff before they roll it, they roll them every year with a 10 ton asphault roller, i thought that it might be better to cut them so that all that tall dead and dorment grass doesn`t get packed down and might make it hader for the new growth to grow up through? I hope to be going middle to late next week .

7. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Monday, although next week will be a VERY easy week of mowing. Heck I have not even had a trash can full of grass so far from all the cleanups, lots of brown still. Heck with it being 35 deg here right now I could probably skip next week as well.

8. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I'm from the Flint area. I'll start when the grass starts growing. going from 80 degrees to 40 degrees in 2 days gets me confused. i'll just start when i need to. i'm all ready to go

9. fastrunner

fastrunner LawnSite Member

HI, im from southwest michigan and started my mowing on tuesday, grass is green and growing, but now its 40 degrees out, compared to 86 on tuesday, gotta love michigan.. nope.

10. nova385

nova385 LawnSite Member
    from Mid MI

I am from Davison and started yesterday- Sweat your butt off in the morning and had the winter coat on by 3:00-