Michigan LCO's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by millsmowing, Mar 6, 2002.

1. millsmowing

millsmowing LawnSite Member

Would like to hear from people in the industry from Michigan. I am based out of St. Johns which is about 15 miles north of Lansing. Just curious how long you've been in the business and your view on the state of the industry in our fine SPARTAN state?

2. mxrdrvr3

mxrdrvr3 LawnSite Member

:rolleyes: SPARTANS :rolleyes:

GO BLUE!!!!!!!!! LOL;)

3. ladibugg

ladibugg LawnSite Member

Michigan, having a short season is a tough market to win at. Many new lowballers jump on the bandwagon weekly, slowing down the horses. Lets not forget the snow, your blades will not cut well covered with ice. Oh, and the customers...michiganders are tightwads. Other than that, I love it.

4. Mowergirl

Mowergirl LawnSite Member

I'm not to sure how it is in your Spartan state, but my Wolverine state is hanging tuff! I'm fairly new owner, but have worked in the industy for about 8 years... have yet to see the market drop much for maintenance work. Installations are probably hurting some, but I'm not into that area. The big thing down here (Jackson area) seems to be the need for complete care, including weeding, pruning, clean walks, etc. This is good for me because it's my biggest asset to offer all work done. (I prefer to hire a mowing crew & utilize myself in all the other work plus QC. ~though I love to mow, just not every day!).

How do you market in your neck of the woods? And also what equipment are you using? I bought an existing LCO last year and am in need of new methods to get my name out. Also am going to have to buy another rider this year. I think I'm sticking to gravely but am open to other ideas before I purchase.

By the way ~ u guys are great! I have gotten more info reading your messages then any other source I could imagine! Since this is the first time I'm replying to anything, please forgive me if I do something wrong!

Good Luck to all this year ~

Mowergirl

5. Just Cut

Just Cut LawnSite Member

I don't see the market as being tough I refuse to compete with the lowballers, I offer qaulity service at a price that will keep my business needs meet as well as my own, I have been in business 3 years this season with last year being my first season full time.

6. Heavenly Green

Heavenly Green LawnSite Member

Well guys/gals this site has been a great tool to me. Im entering my second season fulltime. This first season was really tuff. I started in 98 me and my wife needed some extra income and growing up in Texas cutting yards as a teen was fun so me and the wife decided to give it a try. We went to Home Depot and both got $300.00 credit limits maxed them out with 2 21"push mowers weed whip and blower we cut 10 yds per week when I got off work at 5:30 everyday. In 99 she didnt want to work so I bought a 99metro hp 52" and a 5x10 trailer and I started doing 20yrds per week after that season I was hooked on mowing I knew I couldnt spend 10hrs a day inside of a Tool&Die shop for much longer. In 2000 I traded in the 5x10 for a 6.5x16'er traded the Ranger for a 2000Ram 1500 4x4 and Purchased a Lazer zhp 48"Now me and a friend were banging out 40lawns per week after my long days in the shop. In 2001 I bought a lazer hp 48"and a plow right before I quit my fulltime job me and a friend were doing about 80 lawns per week. This year Im done buying equipment for a while now focused on the bussiness aspects forming LLC and setting up payroll and workmans comp. as Im tired of dealing with all these cheap residentials and non-payers.
    In Michigan it seems like the bigger the house the cheaper they are. Im so tired of people hagleing over $1.00 its B.S. And when you do residential nobody asks to see my inns. cert. so your biding against the people with non-ligit LCO. Who will do that $50.00 yard for $20.00. Its driving me nuts. Granted I was one not to long ago but now that everything is ligit I cant possible bid in there arena. So this year Im not going to match anyones prices. Ive proven my quality to my previous customers so its my price or find another LCO. Im supose to be recieving some bid packs from a few property managment companys hoping that scrubs wont be able to bid on these type of acounts and my prices wont be far from the other ligit LCO. Anybody have any luck with getting commercial propertys from managment companys? I think this will be a good season for everybody. It seems like with majority of familys being duel income nobody wants to spend time maintaining there yard they just want to enjoy it when there home.

Good luck to all!
    Steve@S&S Heavenly Green Lawns:D

7. MOOSE

MOOSE LawnSite Senior Member

Hello everyone. I'm a 3rd generation out here doing this. My family has done well for themselves. I have been in biz for 2 years going into 3rd. And it's getting worse out there. the lowballers are pushing us hardworkin people out. $50 lawn cut for $25. not right.
    I do all my work in a respectful area. Bloomfield hills/Birmingham area of Oakland County. Even when u cut a lawn for cheaper then what u really should charge them the customers think your hourly rate is too high. Well we have to make it up somewhere. AND WERE NOT OUT HERE FOR MILK & COOKIES...
    SOMEBODY TELL THESE PEOPLE THAT.

Other then the usuak crap I still LOVE WHAT I DO..

NORTHERN EXPOSURE LAWN SERVICE.
    CLARKSTON, MI