Michigan LCO's

Discussion in 'Network: Central' started by tiedeman, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Moguy

Moguy LawnSite Member

My goals for the New year are finish up my certification courses and expand my client base. Basically, learn, learn and learn some more before I venture out into landscaping. I'm with Loren and Expert as far as suppliers, Weingartz covers everything I need.

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

any of you MIchigan guys use a GPS time tracking system? I have been looking into it, but it's so dang expensive.

3. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

My very first venture into the biz, we did everything. Brick pavers, landscaping, bed maintenance, etc. I hated it. I don't like getting down and digging around to plant things. My wife can't even get me to plant flowers at my house. It's just not my thing. Which is crazy because I have a bs in biology! I really didn't mind the pavers/hardscape stuff, but I don't have the $$ to invest in the equipment and to be honest, I'm not real creative. I've seen some of the stuff the guys around here do, and I'm very impressed. I could never compete.

What I have been thinking about is laying down mulch this coming season. Haven't really done that much of it before, don't know how I'd like it.

What I like about mowing is it's task oriented. You know what you have to do, you know when it's done, and it feels good to show up and turn a shaggy lawn into a nicely cut yard.

:D

4. tiedeman

from earth

I have to agree about the equipment cost and the creative aspect, I am exactly the same way. And I am not that knowledgeable in the landscaping area, compared to the turf area where I am a lot more knowledgable.

5. Moguy

Moguy LawnSite Member

Finally, it looks like SE Michigan will get a decent amount of snow. Anyone else in Michigan expecting much?

6. tiedeman

from earth

right now in Clare we have received about 5 to 6 inches of snow and it's still coming down

7. Moguy

Moguy LawnSite Member

tiedeman, did it take long for the University of Georgia to send you the course materials for turf management certification?

8. tiedeman

from earth

I think only about 7 to 10 days it took.

We are up to 9 inches and still rising

9. Moguy

Moguy LawnSite Member

Thanks tiedeman. I applied for it through the PLCAA last week, just want to get started on it. The snow here is about 6 or 7 inches and still coming down steadily.

10. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Now you've got me interested. Care to share?

We've got about 4 or 5 inches now, around 5pm. It took a while for it to get going here, but it looks like a nice amount of snowfall before it's all over.

:D