Michigan LCO's

Discussion in 'Network: Central' started by tiedeman, Sep 4, 2003.

1. bluesprucelawncare

bluesprucelawncare LawnSite Member

yea no your not its a law

2. Mimowerman

Mimowerman LawnSite Senior Member

Subpart F—Coupling devices and towing methods
    ยง393.70 Coupling devices and towing methods, except for driveaway-towaway operations.

(d)(8)(i) When two safety devices, including two safety chains or cables, are used and are attached to the towing vehicle at separate points, the points of attachment on the towing vehicle shall be located equally distant from, and on opposite sides of, the longitudinal centerline of the towing vehicle.(d)(4) The safety device must be connected to the towed and towing vehicles and to the tow-bar in a manner which prevents the tow-bar from dropping to the ground in the event it fails or becomes disconnected.

for your bet , u could just give me ur skid steer and dump rather then jumping off a bridge !!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  3. Mimowerman

(d)(4) The safety device must be connected to the towed and towing vehicles and to the tow-bar in a manner which prevents the tow-bar from dropping to the ground in the event it fails or becomes disconnected.

well I dunno it kinda leaves it up in the air ??

4. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

i asked the dot last week because i thought it was true also. he went and got me a rule book and showed it to me and in big bold letters it clearly says it is suggested but is not the law. now it is obviously diffrent in different state books but i know for a fact it says its not a law, im looking at it right now.

5. Mimowerman

SAFETY CHAINS CAN PREVENT RUNAWAY
    TRAILER in case hitch/coupler fails.
    1. Always use safety chains when towing.
    2. Cross safety chains under coupling to prevent tongue from
    dropping to ground.
    3. Allow only enough slack for tight turns.
    4. Do not let safety chains drag on ground.
    5. Twist safety chains equally from hook ends to take up slack.
    6. Use safety chains rated equal to or greater than twice the
    maximum gross trailer weight rating.
    SAFETY CHAINS
    Safety chains are required on all vehicles used to pull equipment or a trailer. Their condition should be checked carefuly each time before use.

Safety chains are intended to keep the towing and towed vehicles together and control the direction of travel of the towed vehicle in the event of a coupling device failure. Safety chains must be short enough to keep the drawbar from contacting the ground, and be connected in such a manner so that they cross beneath the tongue of the towed vehicle. If the towed vehicle becomes disconnected, the chains will support the tongue and drawbar, and allow for a safe stop.
    https://www.nysdot.gov/divisions/operating/employee-health-safety/pintle-hooks-chains

6. P.Services

chris where the f are you getting this? this is crazy for the state to have diffrent info in differnt books. same dot told me you can not twist the chains or i will get a ticket. again he showed me in the book where it said this.

hey that d & r lawn care guy who is also a dot should set up a little inspection meeting i would gladly pay him to teach us and inspect the trucks. is he still on hear at all?

7. Mimowerman

8. P.Services

but you can borrow it for a cheaper then JDE/CRC rental rate if you would like.

9. Mimowerman

Lol Thanks.... however my uncle works at JDE at 696&milford rd..... anyways..... I'm off to bed got a long rest of the week , Guys look for pictures of my new dump trailer on friday!! driving down to Elkhart In to get it should be a fun trip! :dizzy:

10. P.Services

poor guy im not a big fan of that place, well more like the a-holes that work there. im sure ur uncle isnt one of them RIGHT