1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Michigan LCO's

Discussion in 'Network: Central' started by tiedeman, Sep 4, 2003.

1. alternative

alternative LawnSite Senior Member

Pricing sounds right to me, keep your prices high. I say depending on what you pay for the mulch, $80/yd (for small 5yd or less jobs is fair.)
  2. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep. $65peryd plus delivery, it might go lower if the job calls for a large quantity. I have seen it at $35yd spread. Those are jokers with a pickup and it looks like a drunk monkey spread it. Piles all over plants or grass, not spread even at all, and no hard surfaces blown off. We have some large operations out here that look real bad too. I would post some pictures but the last time I posted someones terrible job I got in trouble.

If you go any lower than $55peryd you either get your mulch for bare minimum or you are an idiot.
  3. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

as long as you make money and dont get the homeowners upset, you will do fine.

start small and dont bid on jobs you can't handle.
  4. M and S Lawn Care

M and S Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

rained out. again. imagine that. at least I got some mulch down and a handful of lawns cut. Hopefully tomorrow will be bright and sunny.
  5. LawncareAmericaLLC

LawncareAmericaLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Heavy rain tonight with showers tommorow morning, maybe a late cut or some small landscape jobs. I wish i could charge 80-100 a yard id be rich! We run specials in april for 55.00 a yrd. but after April we go up to 65.00 a yrd. I priced a mulch job last week and lost it to a guy who was going to do it for 40.00 a yrd. Shredded hardwood too. Also been a great week for new lawn accounts. picked up 12 this week alone from people who were unhappy with there free cuttings. LOL
  6. Watson's Landscaping

Watson's Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

F'n rain well looks like make up-day is Saturday again with a shrub job throw'n in to top it off. cant wait think'n its going to be a dark to dark day on Saturday!!!!:weightlifter:
  7. cgrappler135

cgrappler135 LawnSite Member

Thankfully i got all 19 wednesdays done before the rain. Well the last 3 got blown off in the rain.

Hey Mike i finished that paver job in Arcadia Ridge. Maybe i'll call you Friday or Sat. when im doing some mulch in the area and you can check it out?
  8. Superior L & L

Superior L & L LawnSite Senior Member

Man i hope i get my mulch for bare minimum, cos i dont want to be the other option
  9. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

While were on the subject, I'm glad I don't do a lot of mulching. i could never quite fiugre that out, say you pay $30-$35, say the job takes 5 yards, you have to haul it over there, spread it, clean up the mess, all for about a $150 gross profit; even at $80.00 - $100.00 a yard you're better off just mowing.
  10. Superior L & L

Superior L & L LawnSite Senior Member

Mulch is easy money, but not BIG money. You can put unskilled labor on the job with one guy that knows what he's doing and its good $$$ for a couple of months. We buy double shredded hardwood for just under $15 a yard. Say we charged $50 a yard (random number, not going to tell you what i charge) we would gross $35 per yard. We average 1.5 yds per hour, so after material cost thats $52.50 per hour per man.