1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Michigan LCO's

Discussion in 'Network: Central' started by tiedeman, Sep 4, 2003.

1. M and S Lawn Care

M and S Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I got a whole lot of nothing done today, I got three yards of mulch loaded up for tomorrow though.. haha. I'll run two crews tomorrow and then we'll be caught up for Friday.. hopefully.

Pulled the trigger on a new-to-me truck today, a 2008 F250 SD work truck with a 8' Western, only 5K miles on it and everything looks like it just rolled out of the factory. The wear bar on the plow is barely touched.. I'm stoked.
  2. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

179 in the last two days between 3 crews - and still behind. I hate the firggin rain.
  3. Mimowerman

Mimowerman LawnSite Senior Member

Mike, Brett told me about that.... sounds like a fair price.... just make sure it comes with a full tank of gas!! 2.69per gal I just paid !!! and great job wings!!!
  4. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like more rain around noon for us!:cry:
  5. M and S Lawn Care

It's never good when you have to come home and change at 1045 because you're so wet... this is going to be a lonnnngggg day. I think the guys got 8 lawns mowed so far..

Chris, you were sure making a lot of green concrete up there on Waterfall!
  6. Surecut Lawncare LLC

Surecut Lawncare LLC LawnSite Member
    from SE,MI

I would like to say hello to all the guys in SE MI.

I'm just starting to get my business set up and I was wondering if anyone would answer a couple of questions for me?

1. When you guys have a customer that wants you to bag, do you charge more for that service and also what do you do with the bagged grass?

2. Do you find that people in this geographic area are open to signing contracts?

I haven't officially started yet. I am getting quotes for liability ins. and once I am insured I will start mowing.

Thanks, Bill
  7. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

1. Yes, always charge more for something that takes longer. We are in the service industry. Compost it! I am working on starting up a compost facility here in my area.

2. Never do work without a contract, that is like jumping out of a plane without a parachute. It not only protects you but also the customer.
  8. LawnVet

LawnVet LawnSite Member
    from SE MI

For example:
    I had a lawn & snow customer call me yesterday in a tizzy (thankfully not at me) because her fert guy charged her more than he'd quoted her on the phone. No contract signed, so she says f-you to the guy and he told her that "in the landscaping industry you don't need a contract. You agreed over the phone so you have to pay." While he may have told her $XX.XX was the price on the phone for her two properties she may have understood it as $YY.YY for both. Neither is really wrong but both hate each other now...she isn't going to pay and he isn't going to be able to collect because he does not have a contract.
    She called me b/c she wanted to know if the "landscapers don't need to have a contract" was legit. I basically told her what I just said above and that it's a hearsay case, not likely to result in anything. I guess she should have taken me up on my fert prices instead of bargin hunting.
  9. Mimowerman

Mimowerman LawnSite Senior Member

you got to do what you got to do!!!
  10. M and S Lawn Care

did you get my complaint call today?