1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Michigan LCO's

Discussion in 'Network: Central' started by tiedeman, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Mimowerman

Mimowerman LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a few buddies that could scare the crap out of them..... oh thats illegal never mind!
  2. LawnVet

LawnVet LawnSite Member
    from SE MI

3. grassmaster06

grassmaster06 LawnSite Senior Member

i got some to but dont want to go that route
  4. M and S Lawn Care

M and S Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Rain Rain Rain.. this weeks lawns are just going to get finished Monday. They're not all that long these days anyways. Got a nice retaining wall built today and about 25 plants in the ground. Going back Monday to put about 20 more shrubs in, some top soil, and stone. It was a little muddy though!

Half done, before plants. Not too bad for a bunch of lawn care guys..

5. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks good Mike! But...you really shouldn't be planting this late in the year, horticulturely speaking that is. Plants aren't established and too much shock still from planting them yet. Honestly in my experience you should be fine. In the past I have only had maybe a 5% increase in plant mortality and morbidity from the usual 5%.

Rule of thumb for late season plantings is woody shrubs and trees okay but wait for perennials till spring.
  6. RVC_Lawncare

RVC_Lawncare LawnSite Member

Blah, I am way backed up...Rain on monday, tuesday, friday, saturday and maybe some today mid afternoon. I cut all the commercial stuff you can do in the rain already..but like mike said, nothing is growing fast at all...just hate to get off schedule so far. At this point, most people probably don't care anyway.:dizzy:
  7. Superior L & L

Superior L & L LawnSite Senior Member

Hemmmm. Not really looking to get into a "who know more or who know less" but our season is too short as it is. Ive got to plant from the time the ground thaws till its frozen. To me fall is the BEST time to plant anything, just like seeding. Warm days cool night. Granted cut down perennials dont have great esthetically value to the newly installed landscape but in spring they are already in and ready to go
  8. M and S Lawn Care

You and your technical horticultural stuff Terrapro!

I actually like planting this time of year. I know that the plants may not be real well established before winter his, but it seems like it's a lot easier to keep them alive without drying out. Everything that I'm planting, except for a few hostas and grasses, are woody shrubs, so they should be okay.

On a similar note, I have a couple people that want me to cut bushes WAY down for them this fall. Like.. they're 5' high and they want them 2' high so they can re-grow. Majority are Burning Bush. When should I do this? They're still green. Wait til they turn red? Lose thier leaves? I know they've done this before but I dont want to kill them!
  9. Mimowerman

Mimowerman LawnSite Senior Member

Just take a chainsaw and cut them down to 1' I find this works best......

haha 5ft to 2 ft is a huge reduction, and I'm not sure I would be comfortable doing that.... but I'll let a expert jump in and take over the discussion.
  10. M and S Lawn Care

They (my neighbors) did it once when I was about 10.. that was nine years ago.. and the bushes look great.. I wonder if they know that you can keep them trimmed and the same size? Lol