Michigan LCO's

Discussion in 'Network: Central' started by tiedeman, Sep 4, 2003.

1. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah like I said you should be fine, just don't be surprised if you get a call next summer because a few plants are dead. It happens in all installs even the perfectly executed designs. A 5% 5yr mortality rate is pretty standard expectations. No big deal, I was just bringing it to your attention.

For the burning bush and actually any woody plant ranging from burning bush to 50ft trees there is a 1/3 per year rule. Me personally dont like burning bush so I would be inclined to tell you to follow Mimowermans advice then you might get to replace them with a better specimen next year :laugh:...

My horticulture side would unfortunately tell you otherwise though. I like to do heavy cut backs in the early spring even late winter while the sap just starts to run and everything is thawing out from winter. I do alot of heavy cutbacks after 4-5 years of trimming when they become heavy with thick exterior growth. It helps to get sunlight and air flow to the inside of the plant.

You can do it now especially on a hard to kill burning bush but the problem is you will be stimulating new growth which will not have enough time to become hardy before it gets cold and most likely will have die back from being frozen. You are also pulling the plant out of its normal hibernation cycle which has started now that the nights are colder and we recieved our first frost, hence the red color.

If you are going to do it this fall which I am assuming you will because saying no to money is not being business savy...anyway, first cut that heavy growth off of the exterior first few inches where it is normally trimmed to. Then carefully pick and choose branches that are dead, criss crossing, rubbing, and going from one side to the other. This will give you your 1/3 if done correctly. Now if you decide to go alittle heavier on the trimming you will be able to make the decision easier with a nice structure set up now.

Anymore questions like this just feel free to ask.

2. qball

qball LawnSite Member

any one sub-contract for bigger companys?? contracts end the last week of oct. just wondering whats out there

3. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

have 44" exmark rider and ultravac for sale.

pm me if interested..

4. TL Yardcare

TL Yardcare LawnSite Member

How much are you looking to get for the mower? Feel free to email me at tlyardcare@gmail.com

Thanks,
    Taylor

5. M and S Lawn Care

M and S Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

3 days with no posts? What happened? Lol.

6. Leisure Time Outdoor Serv

Leisure Time Outdoor Serv LawnSite Member

Everyone is on plowsite

7. Leisure Time Outdoor Serv

Newest addition to the Leisure Time Family

compressor.jpg

8. M and S Lawn Care

M and S Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

looking good! Mind if I ask what that cost you? i'm in the market for one.

9. Leisure Time Outdoor Serv

I found it on Craigslist for $700.00. Its an old consumer energy unit with an old Wisconsin engine that runs like a top.

10. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 LawnSite Senior Member

Please just don't use 120 lbs PSI to blow out sprinkler lines like I have seen some guys do!! Black pipe DON'T like it.