1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Michigan LCO's

Discussion in 'Network: Central' started by tiedeman, Sep 4, 2003.

1. jaybow

jaybow LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mi

Ok, I was under the impression that if your truck and trailer were under 26000 lbs GCVWR that you no longer had to have DOT numbers on your truck. Somebody told me yesterday that you still had to have them if you are pulling a trailer with any type of commercial equipment onboard. Or even if you have say a dump insert, or even a plow or salt spreader on your truck.

2. jaybow

from Mi

Im not going to Hell for anyone, lol..

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Somebody is an idiot.

4. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Like Mark said, whoever told you that was so clueless,:dizzy: that you would be better served never to listen to them again.

5. jaybow

from Mi

So I have commercial plates on my truck, its an old GMC 2500, I'm only pulling a small rig 6.5 X 12. So I no longer need DOT#, how about the medical card? I do have a chauffeurs license.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

You need a chauffeurs and, if applicable, a med card. The new law applies to the truck/trailer itself, not the operator, although I believe there is an exemption made on how long a driver can work in a single day - I'll have to double check that item, though.

7. Mark Oomkes

What ^^^ he said. Although I am confused on the med card yet.

8. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Roseville Motor Carrier told me any single vehicle or combination that has a GVWR of 10,001 pounds or more used for commercial purposes require a med card.

9. Mark Oomkes

That's my understanding as well. But others have said different, so I'm not sure. I will be playing it safe and sticking with the med cards.

10. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

I remember when I trying to find out what the requirement for the DOT number last spring I had different answers from the state troops, the DOT cops, and the DMV for the same questions. I don't think anyone is on the same page.