1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Michigan LCO's

Discussion in 'Network: Central' started by tiedeman, Sep 4, 2003.

1. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

If you're going to do an llc, get an attorney.
  2. cgrappler135

cgrappler135 LawnSite Member

Watch out canton, just got a call from my old neighbor and he said last week there were already lawn maintenance flyers in his hood going for $16 a cut and these are all fenced in yards, must be some jr. high kid getting summer work or something.
  3. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

WHY? That makes no since. Its only $50 if you go to lansing. Why spend $100's of dollars to have an attorney do the leg work for you, when its simple as driving an hour or two.
  4. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Sure, filing is easy. But setting up the operating rules of the company is not. If you do it incorrectly, the level of protection that an LLC gives you could be lost. I read the operating rules my attorney set up to me, about 3 times, and there's no way I could have come up with all of the provisions and potentials he did. (And I'm not exactly stupid, I have a degree from UofM) Why? Because it's his job to do that kind of thing. Set your operating structure up wrong and a good attorney can come through and poke holes in it, prove you and your company is the same entity, and then you're held responsible personally for any liabilities your company incurs. IE personal injury, damage, etc. Then they come after your assets, not just your business. Part of the reason you turn LLC is because of the layers of protection it offers you. What's the point of doing that if you blow that protection at the start? Just to save a couple $100 that's tax deductible anyway?
  5. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

6. Mowerboy04

Mowerboy04 LawnSite Bronze Member

hey guys how do u figure out how much it costs u to run your mowers? i have a bobcat 219 with a 52" deck its got about 250 hours on it. how can i figure out what it costs me to run it
  7. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

have you ever gone to a Profits Unlimited seminar?

I MOW ALONE LawnSite Bronze Member

five star. i will offer $900 for your 32'' walkbehind. let me know
  9. scraper69

scraper69 LawnSite Senior Member
    from mi

Well said, mtd... lots of guys out there think its so easy to be inc. or llc.. it needs to be done correctly or it useless. I crack up when people do stupid things to save money.
  10. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

This is a very good post and is spot on as to why some of us choose to pay an attorney to set up our Corporation. There is more to it than a $50 form filed with the state.