1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

    Dismiss Notice

Michigan LCO's

Discussion in 'Network: Central' started by tiedeman, Sep 4, 2003.

  1. smarino21

    smarino21 LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 345

    I was wondering any one do any advertising to pick up more lawns yet, i havent so i am wondering others opinions. I had a freind do 10k inserts in c& G news paper and got 1 lawn off it. Its his first year and i know he isnt pricing too high ? Any input
  2. bigjeeping

    bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 903

    If the combined GVWR of your trailer and truck exceed 10,000 pounds you must have a chauffeurs license and carry a medical card while operating your truck. Same goes for any employees who drive your trucks.

    F-250 + Single Axle Trailer = over 10,000 GVWR you need the license/card. I got busted for it last year.

    You also need a fire extinguisher/triangles. Man there are so many little things!
  3. RedWingsDet

    RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit
    Posts: 3,556

    c&g is a waste of money. Im not doing any advertising this year, and as far as im concered its to late to advertise and pick up a drastic amount of lawns. The past two years we have put out 10k lawn flyers and 10k snow flyers each year. Its more about timeing than anything. Good luck.
  4. RedWingsDet

    RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit
    Posts: 3,556

    I can almost sware that you dont need this if you are the owner driving the vechicle. However, I am not 100% sure so dont blame it on me if I am wrong and you get busted, lol.
  5. bigjeeping

    bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 903

    Nope, anyone driving it.
  6. terrapro

    terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,234

    get some flyers printed up and get moving on them or your gonna miss your chance. im still putting out a couple hundred or so per week and im getting calls from flyers i passed out a month ago.

    it seems like local companies have just started this last week putting their flyers out so you might have some time left
  7. MOOSE

    MOOSE LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 393

    I put out flyers the first & second week this month and picked up 20 so far. And calls keep coming in. 4 calls today alone.

    The laws on this medical card thing is just to make the state $$$.
  8. d&rlawncare

    d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 741

    You only need a Chauffeurs license if your GVWR of your power unit (TRUCK) is 10,000 pounds or more. Chauffeurs license does NOT include combinations ratings, truck+trailer (GCWR). GCWR's are only for medical card, fire ext, triangles, dot #'s, etc.

    Check the vin tag on the door of your F250. It should be yellow or white and will have the weight in kgs and lbs. If the GVWR is under 10,000 lbs you dont need the chauffeurs license.

  9. RedWingsDet

    RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit
    Posts: 3,556

    So GVWR is wha the vechicles weight capibilites are loaded, not the weight of the truck unloaded, correct?

    And we dont need a medical card if this weight is over 10,000lbs reguardless of combined weight?
  10. d&rlawncare

    d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 741

    GVWR is what the vehicle is built to handle. It is NOT the actual weight of the vehicle itself. Lets say you have an F450 dump GVWR is 32,000. The actual weight of the truck is only 17,000. That means you can put another 15,000 on. Then you will be at the max the vehicle was DESIGNED for. (brakes, leaf springs, axles etc) NOTE: above ratings are fake numbers provided for example only.

    Yes you need a medical card if the COMBINED ratings are over 10,001 pounds.

Share This Page