Michigan question about fertilizing

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by turbo5560, Aug 24, 2007.

1. turbo5560

turbo5560 LawnSite Senior Member

For people that spread fertilizer in Michigan: I did a search on here about appling fertilizer, but i am really confused.
    1. Do you need a license to apply ONLY fertilizer?
    2. From what i gathered from reading on Lawnsite is that i don't need a license to apply fertilizer, but i need one to spread pesticides... correct?
    3. If i need a license to spread fertilizer, where is a place online to read about that information?

Thank-you!

2. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

In Mich you need your local Mich cooperative extension office.

3. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

You don't need a license if you are spreading JUST fert. No weed or insect control. And no granular W & Fs, etc.

4. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

Correct, no license (as of now anyway) for fertilizer application. It's called a pesticide applicator's license for a reason. You need it, AND a pesticide application business license, to apply pesticides. This is liquids and granulars, and includes "weed and feed" and other combination products.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I CAN tell you this, also....Fertilization is a hard racket when you don't have access to weed, insect, and disease control. you put down fertilizer, and it makes the weeds grow even better. Not to sound discouraging or anything, but I can assure you that there is much much more in this business in the pesticide uses than there is in just the fertilization.

6. jrc lawncare

jrc lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Good post, a lot of truth in this. Getting a lawn growing good is one thing, keeping it that way is another. Plus, your reputation is on the line, especially when it comes to getting rid of weeds or lawn issues. When your client asks you what weed they have in their lawn, you best be able to identify & eliminate if possible.:walking:

7. jrc lawncare

jrc lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

8. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

I got my permit to apply pesticides this spring with 2 long tests that had to be studied hard for. Now I can apply for someone else for about 8 an hour. Expose myself to chemicals and work my balls off, that is, if they dont fall off from the chemicals. After 2 years of that I can pay 500 per year to the state to license my business to apply.After I spend several thousand on equipment, then I can try to get customers who only want to pay $35 no matter how big the yard is. No thanks.

9. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

$8?? I'll give you at least $8.25, LOL. Seriously, though, it's only $100 per year for the business license and $50 every three years for the applicators license (not to be a nit pick or anything)

10. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

And my profit per hour is about $80.00, that is after fert and chems are paid for. That's why so many companies are so aggressive about getting these contracts. Think about it - a small residential lawn takes 5 - 8 minutes to treat, and you're getting maybe 20 - 25 bucks per app. Keep a tight route and you'll make tons of money.