Michigan requires 2 years experience... Scotts?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by velocicaur, Feb 8, 2007.

1. velocicaur

velocicaur LawnSite Member

Hey guys,

In order to get a business license to spray in Michigan, one needs to have two years of verifiable experience. Now, there is a large tru-green and one other fairly large application company that hire every spring. However, there is now a new Scott's in town that is hiring for this coming season. I was wondering if working for a franchise like Scotts would be the good/best way to get the experience and knowledge needed about the spray/fert field?

Thanks!

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Hi neighbor. Veloci,
    there are over a hundred companies in town that advertise weed spraying. Talk to several. TruGreen in Grandville (sales and growth oriented) often has a high quota for your daily production. It was only $600 per day when I was there, about 131,000 sqft. I have heard it is $1000 per day now. And they work some Saturdays. They don't have many Permagreens. Plan to walk.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That's one way of doing it. I SURE wouldn't suggest working for the bigger one (first one mentioned), because they will teach you more of how NOT to do it. You are a robot. You are sent out to spray your quota. You will not learn how to diagnose different conditions, you will not learn what different outside conditions have (effect) on thngs that you do, you will learn absolutely NOTHING about mixing a tank, and you will certainly not learn anything about maintaining a high quality program. we've hired people from different companies before, and they had no idea why we were adding some of the stuff we used in the tank (iron was one). Actually, if you can find a private applicator that is more inclined to do quality work over ANY franchise, THIS would be the most optimum type of outfit to learn from. you will get more one on one attention and advice on ALL the various aspects of the business.

4. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

One quality company I know of in your area is Devries. Hank is the owner and a really good guy. He was a freind of MSU when I went there in the early 90's, giving talks to classes, internships, etc... I have heard decent things about Tender Lawn Care, too. Find a mid sized co. that has the knowledge, but is still willing to spend time teaching you the "why's and wherefors." I echo Runner and Riggle's posts.

5. lawnangel1

lawnangel1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from KY

Wow my quota a day is more like 1200, and that is all walking.

My advice to you is find someone in a mid size company. Resources enough to see many kinds of techniques, products, and equipment. But where the owner/manager has enough time to spend with you. There are advantages to working for those big companies, I know from experience I am an ex TGCL employee. I left TGCL with a bad taste in my mouth that really turned me off to this business. Luckily there have been numerous lco's that have taken me under there wing and really cared about seeing me succed in this business. So be careful find a company with good morals and an owner/supervisor that really cares about you learning and seeing you succeed. If all there gonna see you as is an employee, run away! You should be thought of as a student. That is the only way you will learn.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I wish you were up here....My friend is looking for 2 applicators for this season. I think he's also going to be looking for about 16 new employees for maintenance services and such.

7. velocicaur

velocicaur LawnSite Member

Thanks for the responses.

Now that you mention it, it may be better to go with a smaller company for more hands on training. However, I'm a little worried that finding a position at one of those places may be difficult without any experience/licenses/certifications.

You are right. There is Devries, they have quite a few trucks running around town. It appears that they have taken the weed-man franchise.

Anyways, it is still early. Scott's was advertising in the press, first one I seen so far this there. Hopefully there will be more quality opportunities as we get closer to season.

Thanks again.

8. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

I forgot about Weedman, I did see that on the website. That might be better, as they'll maybe have more resources, but still with a small company feel. Don't wait to see an ad for help. Go knocking on doors. If you see a company you like the looks of, go talk to them. Not everyone advertises, I'd say most get help by word of mouth. Advertising is expensive and you have to wade through a lot of people to find one that might work out. Just another thought.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

We have a guy here in Flushing who has bought into a weedman franchise, too.

10. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

The lawn care industry is not the kind of business you want to jump into blind. Attaining some good training and experience is an excellent plan. I worked in lawn care 7 years and attended an agricultural school (4 years) prior to becoming an owner/operator.