Michigan Seat

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mefast, Apr 1, 2013.

1. mefast

mefast LawnSite Member
    from florida

Ordered the seat for my John Deere 920a from Northern last week. They told me 10 days can't wait..... Anybody use them on their Deers ?

2. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

Your going to hate that black seat come summer, unless you have and enclosed trailer
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. SodaPopCurtis

SodaPopCurtis LawnSite Member
    from PA

I tried to put one on my 757 a few years ago but didn't line up right. Have one on my toro. Really saves your back.

4. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

It's a comfortable seat but mine broke after about 1000 hrs on machine. Took it apart and saw that it was not built real sturdy. But I did fix it and all is good. As Jim said, hope you didn't get black color. The holes may not line up exactly but you can probably drill new ones out.

5. Choppin

Choppin LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone ever tried a suspension seat insert?
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. ArTurf

Male, from Ark

If you mean a spring type apparatus that fits between the seat and the mower, yes I have. I had one on and Exmark and now it is on my new JD. It sits you up a little higher than the Michigan but you get used to it. It does a good job of soaking up shock.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  7. Choppin

Choppin LawnSite Senior Member

Does it help the ride... The main reason I need it is becuase my new mower has a different seat than my old mower and I sink down in it further and it's harder to see the trimming side of my deck so I was thinking it I put the suspension insert on my new mower it would make me sit up higher and improve the ride.... It's a Ferris 3100 so it already has a good ride but I need to sit up about a inch or so higher to see the deck well....
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. dathorpe

dathorpe LawnSite Senior Member

I installed the Michigan seat on my Toros and Exmarks. It worked great. I thought the black color would be an issue but really, it hasn't been any problem. I'd definitely buy a Michigan seat again.

Before I bought Michigan seats, I tried the suspension insert and I hated it. It sits you up too high and the suspension wasn't very good. Sold it for a hundred bucks.

9. ArTurf

Male, from Ark

Yes, you do sit 2-3 inches higher and it definitely helps the ride. With the Ferris suspension and the seat kit I would guess the ride would be very smooth.

10. mefast

mefast LawnSite Member
    from florida

It is black . Picked it up today and installed it. I will try it out tomorrow and let you know....