1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Michigan Underbidders

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Alpha01, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Alpha01

Alpha01 LawnSite Member

Is it just me, or am I having a hard time with aquiring new customers this year? I am being low balled every where i turn. What should I do and how low should I go so that my two crews will stay busy this year?

2. All_Clear

All_Clear LawnSite Senior Member

Good luck... I've been out bid recently for half or less then i'll work for... Guess it all depends on what feeds your family. My biz is not my only income so i don't have to work for free nor will I!

Nathan
    All Clear

3. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

Big Three layoffs, cut backs and early retirements are putting more mowing outfits on the streets !

4. B Stove

B Stove LawnSite Member

True, but these people have to understand they are killing us with these BS prices!

5. clcare

clcare LawnSite Member

same on this side of the pond, lowballers everywhere, do to big 3 lay-offs and buy-outs, eg. over 500,000 sq foot property ...my bid just under $500.00... there bid $42.10... lmao i think i will get it when this company goes belly!

6. 1cooltreeguy

1cooltreeguy LawnSite Senior Member

Factor in the invasion from the south and it is happening to all of us.

7. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

i have about $6000 worth of bids out there for cleanups and mulch, i have a feeling ill only get a couple to signup. in april i think it will pick up....but i did say that about the snow all winter long and it never did

8. Dhouse

Dhouse LawnSite Member

When you have lawn companies adveritising $15.00 per lawn and $50.00 for cleanups, how can you win?

9. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I always read on here, "these people aren't your competition."
    but the facts are, when you are placing a nice ad, and 8 of the other 30 ads say something like, "All lawns cut for $20"... or "you name the price, no reasonable offer refused."... it IS hard to get the calls then.
    So yes, they ARE competition. DUMB competition, but competition nonetheless.

10. troy03

troy03 LawnSite Member

Sorry to hear that happening to you. Im on the west side of the state and haven't had anything like that. There is always those people looking for the cheapest price. The majority of the quotes that we sent out, we were mid to high bid and still signing the majorty of the contracts. Just goes to show that some people still care about quality service.