1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Micro rhizae inocculants

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by upidstay, Apr 21, 2006.

1. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I am looking to add some beneficial fungi to the soil of some trees that were (of course) planted in miserable soil. I'm inheriting this problem, and want to fix it. I was pondering deep root feeding them (mostly maples, 2"-5" trunks) with some home brew compost tea and adding a micro rhizae (spelling?) supplement to the mix. What is a good brand? I am familiar with Roots products, but wasn't sure if any of you folks new a good brand.
  2. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

You can find Mycorrhizae innocultants in a lot of places. Plant Health Care sales some of the best products available. They also have a discussion forum http://www.planthealthcare.com/discussion/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=2 where you can actually have questions answered by Dr Micheal Kenan Phd and Dr Don Marxx Phd that specializes in mycorrhrizea fungus. You cant get better answers that what they can give you.
  3. tadhussey

tadhussey LawnSite Senior Member

4. Gerry Miller

Gerry Miller LawnSite Senior Member

5. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

is their a product that is cost effective for large areas of tur anywhere
  6. tadhussey

tadhussey LawnSite Senior Member

What are you plans with the compost tea? You mention homemade....can you describe your system, inputs, etc....?

Also, don't forget that mycorrhizae is only effective if applied directly to the root system. Only mix it in the compost tea if you're going to be applying directly to the root surface.
  7. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

Could one apply it after an aeration?
  8. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

They, (the websites) are saying that mycorrhizae occurs naturally in a rural natural setting, but it is the harsh urban artificial man-made environment that that reduces its population.
    If that is true: What sort of lawn practices do you change in order to not kill your new supply?
  9. Gerry Miller

Well, don't use any synthetic chemical fertilizers, and in particular, fungicides or chemical pesticides, herbicides.
  10. Gerry Miller

Yes, for established turf, you apply after core aeration. You apply to the soil if you are reseeding or before you lay sod. The spores need to make contact with the roots for the inoculation to be most successful.