1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Microsoft Publisher/Flyers???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scape Sculptor, Jan 14, 2001.

1. Scape Sculptor

Scape Sculptor LawnSite Member

First off, I do my own flyers with MS Publisher 97 on a HP 832 Injet printer. My question is about the mass production of the flyers and color vs black & white. Last year I would design my flyers and print off a template copy in black & white. Take it to Staples and have them mass produce 2000 copies at a time in practically no time at all on their digital copier for about $40 + tax. I would love to do them in color but the most reasonable price I found was at Staples for .49 cents per copy with a 1000 copy min. Office Max wanted .99 and Kinkos $1.49 ea. Even at the lowest price of $500/M, I could buy a new printer and plenty of ink cartrages. I am going to print some of my own in color with my own printer this year. I will be toying with the ink setting, whether economy or normal. Normal is very nice but takes alot longer to print and I am sure more ink. Economy is OK, still color but lighter and has a grid pattern in it that is slighly noticable. It just does not seem economicaly feasible to have the copied in color at even Staple's at this time. I know color have a much greater impact. I am planning to try some direct mailing also. I like to check out the idea of having a weekly local paper insert them.

I am not asking for you guys to tell me what I should do. I'm just curious how and what some of you do. Just looking at all the angles.
    Thanks, Dan

2. If you are using the post office to deliver I would go with a black and white standard .20 cent postcard done on card stock at a local print shop using your own design using MS PUB.

Build a website and put the color pics up at the website.
  3. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

Go to your local printing shop and ask for a quote on having them made on a 4 color printing press. Should cost a lot less. You will probally have to buy at least 2000 though.
  4. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I use my Epson inkjet for just about everything anymore. I used to have my local printshop make up my Statements, Envelopes, Return Envelopes, Business cards, etc. everything. Now I do everything myself and am much happier 'cause I can customize small batches for special projects. I now buy my ink cartriages from http://www.inksite.com for an unbelivable price. I now pay $8.50 for black cartriages and 14.50 for color. I order 6 (3 of each) at a time and it only costs what I would normally pay for Epson carts at Staples. Takes 2 days to deliver to my door. Been buying from inksite for the last 2 years and have never had any problems whatsoever. I also do a lot of digital photo printing with the same printer and their ink works just fine for it also. They also have refill kits that make your cost even less! I wait until the slow winter months and then start printing supplies on a day when I'm bored or want to get out of doing something my wife wants me to do. Give'em a try I know you won't be disappointed.
  5. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Consider aquiring a Brother HL-1240. It's the best printer I've ever owned. Its a very inexpensive HIGH quality USB laser. It does 6-7 ppm at 600 dpi. It's a very fast inexpensive, non-color printer. Printing bills now takes no time whatsoever.
  6. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I have a HP OfficeJet R40, does a great job. I only print in full color for larger accounts and commercial jobs. Other wise I print in black on my lazer and take to Office Depot

7. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

check this site out

they have very good prices on ink, I have purchased from them several times.
  8. Scape Sculptor

Scape Sculptor LawnSite Member

Thanks to everyone for the responses.

It would be nice to hear more ideas from more guys. It would help everyone that are new to the forum.
    Thanks again
  9. tgrebis

tgrebis LawnSite Member

I use a local printer or print shop for flyers.
    For instance
    10000 b/w for about $160. or 1.6cents a flyer
    on colored paper $200.
    two color ink $250.
    (I searched around and this guy is a one man show and definitely has the best prices.)
    4 color(full color) not sure but way lower than a chain like Kinkos. Look in the yellow pages, call the small guys. Make sure you see some of their work. Printers generally specialize in some sorts of printing and sub out what they can't do. When you find the one that does what you need, inhouse, you will find the best price.

Just my 2 cents.