Mid mount ZTR-replace WB?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cut-rite, Mar 25, 2001.

1. cut-rite

cut-rite LawnSite Member

I am currently mowing with 2 Walkers and 1 walk behind for the banks that I can't do with the Walkers. In the name of production I want to get a mid mount ztr(maybe Dixie or Exmark) My question is can I get rid of the walk behind-are the mid mounts better on hills than the front mount Walker, or do I still need the W.B. for hills? Also, the only decent dealers that are near me carry Toro,Scag,Husqvarna and Kubota- I know that a dixie is fast but since I dont have local parts should I get something else? I do all my own repair work so parts are my concern. Thanks, Brad
  2. Grassman

Grassman LawnSite Member

Brad, keep your walkbehind for the hills. Take a look at the Toro,s. They are the same if not better than the Exmarks. Personally, I have a BobcatZ that was $1200 less than comparible Lazer and I love it. Good luck, Russ
  3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I can mow more places easyer with my Walker than I can with my wb-48". Hustler short cut with the upper cut deck and bac-vac would be my choice for a mid mount.

4. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Nothing against riders, but I have some slopes that I know I would not put a rider on. I think a rider for flat areas and a w/b for everywhere else would work ok. I personaly would rather just pull one machine off the trailer,mow and be done with it, instead of riding and then loading the rider and then using a w/b and then loading it up. A velke on your w/b would also help. This is all just one man's opinion.
  5. Shack

Shack LawnSite Member

keep the WB, get a ZTR,and give one of the Walkers.
  6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Do you like your walker? they look like they are built pretty good, and i have thought about getting one, but everyone seems to like the chopper better.
  7. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

I would also tell you to keep the wb. I was thinking on the same lines and trying to leave my wb off the trailer, but...?

Russ - I'm thinking about a bobcat z 48" 19hp kaw. I think I could get it for about 5,400. Is it really a good product?

Thanx Russ

8. slabpile

slabpile LawnSite Member

Hey cut rite
    I just ordered a toro z from uion farm. theyhave been god to me in the past. very reliable. thier is a exmark dealer in warren and in bangor.
  9. cut-rite

cut-rite LawnSite Member

Lawnman, Yes walkers are great if your going to bag, but I think dixies are faster if you dont need to bag.

Slabpile, Yes Union farm is the dealer I use,did you get your toro on cutters day? If so were you the guy that was dealing with Craig at agout 9:30 while I was waiting?
    I didnt count the Exmark dealer in Bangor because I would hate to have to depend on them for anything important.
    How's the one in Warren? Brad
  10. Grassman

Grassman LawnSite Member

RB, I think the Bobcat is a great machine. I have a 23hp Kawasaki with a 61" deck that I bought in January. I paid $8200 for it. It's not quite as fast as a Lazer or a Dixie but it's built tough and leaves a great cut. Only have about 100hrs on it now but no problems with her so far. Russ