Mid mounts or Front mowers??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WeedWhacker69, May 19, 2001.

1. WeedWhacker69

WeedWhacker69 LawnSite Member

This is my first year in the lawn care and mowing bussines and so far everything is going great. I currently have a mid mount ZTR and are planning on buying a second mower either later on in the summer or next season. I was wondering what is the best for mostly residental and some commercial mowing, mid mounts or front deck mowers? And which brands are the best and whic to stay away from? I currently have a Snapper Yard Cruiser ZTR mid mount and its a very nice mower but with the ever growing client list I'm looking to upgrade and was wanting some suggestions. Thanks for the information and best of luck to everyone this season.
  2. boozoo

boozoo LawnSite Member

What dealers do you have in your area? I prefer the comfort and "edging" ability of a front mount, but wide open flat ground is prime turf for a mid-mount. I'm not particularly impressed with Snapper, but most of what I know ofthem is talk, not experience. What is the size, slope, and dominant grass in the yards you cut? Do you need to bag? What dealers are around? don't they make dixie's in your area?
  3. turfguy33

turfguy33 LawnSite Member

I looked at both the mid-mounts and the front mounts last year when I started looking for a new mower. I decided on a Great Dane,, and so far the choice is a good one. The only things I didn't like about front mounts is they do take up too much room on the trailer, and I feel like there just too bulky on some of my jobs. I'm sure that there great mowers, and considering buying a Kubota front mount 4 wd for my large corporate jobs, but only because of the very very good possibility of getting my ztr's hung up and sand. I should know, earlier this year, before the drought, I got my dane hung up twice, considering putting a warn winch on it.......might be a good investment
  4. i have used both front mounts and belly mount ztr's. it all depends on what kind of work you will be doing. if you are doing a lot of fields and big open areas with not a lot of trees, shrubs, etc. then go belly mount. however if you do mostly areas that have lots of gardens, trees, and other obstacles then go with a front mount. good front mount, probably the best is the walker. one nice thing about them is when you go and do fall cleanup you dont need to put any attachments on there, its already on the unit. and all you gotta do is blow out the beds. um, also you reduce your time trimming by a lot, as well as cleanup because the walker will do a lot of areas that a belly mount will not be able to touch, as well as sometimes even the walk behinds. the belly mounts, you will hear a lot of different names. i personally use the scag tigers. but these guys here like the lazer Z's and dixie choppers. one thing to think about. if you already have a belly mount and a walk behind why not go for a front mount? you can always trade it in later on if you feel it has no use. and if you have a front mount then maybe you should try a belly mount. a combo of all 3 is good. walk behind for bad hills. front mount for small lawns and trim work on the big ones, and belly mounts for the big open areas.
  5. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

What size mower are you planning on? I have a 48" Great Dane Scamper WB as my second mower and love it! I often use it more than the Chariot because the deck is mounted up front and I can trim so closely to the edge of things. I find I cut my trimming in half with the Scamper.

6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i have been able to get as close with my midmount
    as i need to.just took a while to figure out what i had to do
    to trim with it . i use the lazer 52
  7. trimmer

trimmer LawnSite Senior Member

I have used both front mount mowers in the past and they do a nice job and are nice because you can the deck under obects. For the past year I have been running a toro mid mount and really like it. You will get more productivity out of the mid mount and the same cut once you get used to it.
  8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I've used belly mount tractors, JD front runners, and Dixie and Exmark belly ZTR's. By far and away, the belly ZTR's are the most maneuveralbe, fastest and smallest footprint there is. I could run circles around my JD F935 with my Lazer. If all you cut are parks and big 10+ acre lots, then a front mount will suffice, but for your average commercial property or lawn, a belly ZTR is the way to go. There is just too much tail dragging around to hit things when turning with a front mount.