mid or front mount mowers??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by olderthandirt, Nov 13, 2003.

1. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

It seem to me that most of you guys run mid mount mowers vrs. front mounts. Why? I've run front mounts and love them but there must be a reason that most manufacture only make mid mounts and most of you guys use them. I'm getting ready to buy yet another front mount Monday, But I just gotta know the deal with mid mounts? And yes I did have one, a kabota ZD21 sold it and bought a Steiner. It seems to me that I can eliminate a lot of trimming with the deck out in front. Opions Please

Mac

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I have a few reasons, as I had JD Front Runners, and went to ZTR's.

* Size (most specifically Length)

* Weight

* Speed

With the shorter length, you can fit more on a trailer, or buy a smaller trailer.

ZTR's are usually lighter and only contact the ground with 4 tires instead of 5 or 6.

Speed can go either way. Used to be the Front Runners with their 10.6mph speed were the kings in my area, as others were putting around at 6-7mph. Don't get me wrong, you now have Front Runners topping 20mph, and ZTR's over 15mph.

The compactness of the ZTR far outshadows the Front Runners ability to trim under trees. Actually some front mounts dont reach very far out, and my Lazer deck extends out much further than say a DC.

With that all being said, if all you do is mow large acerage lawns and estates, a Front Mount is IDEAL. Get into properties less than 1/2 acre and I wouldn't want to be on anything but a ZTR.

3. olderthandirt

from here

TLS
    I don't have any account now but want to get back into that part of the biz and I don't understand what you mean when you say The compactness of the ZTR far outshadows the Front Runners ability to trim under trees. Actually some front mounts dont reach very far out, and my Lazer deck extends out much further than say a DC. Are you saying that your deck sticks out on the side far enough to do under trees and fences? Or did I miss the point.

Mac

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Both,

It sticks out the FRONT and the SIDE.

Where my feet are positioned on my Lazer, they are slightly behind the center of the middle spindle plane. On the JD's My feet were at the rear of the decks cutting arc. A savings of 12-15".

There is no way anyone would get me to go back to a Front Runner.

f-935.jpg

5. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with TLS, the midmount is faster because of it's quick manuverability. I have a toro groundsmaster 120 I've been using since 1995, but bought a Hustler Z this year and it is awesome. I think I've lost some arm strength though because of not having to crank that steering wheel. Oh well! I still like the larger out fronts though. The Toro 120 is kind of an entry level model, but I want some accounts where we can get a larger out front mower, but still it would be hard to justify because of their price and the ZTR's a so good.

6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I am about to start getting rid of my midmounts and replace them with frontmounts. I have a lot of properties that are rough and uneven. The front mount Grasshoppers give a far superior cut to any midmount I have used on these properties. The Grasshoppers will mow at 10.5 MPH, and that is fast enough for me. My various brands of midmounts can not mow any faster than that due to the rough ground. Also, the new Grasshopper front deck machines have an easy flip-up deck arraingement. With the deck raised, they take up less space than some midmount machines.
    The JD, Toro, and Kubota machines with the steering wheel are slow machines for sure. Those type machines, in my opinion, are a thing of the past. :)

7. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

It's still what does the job better for your situation. I like a WB/sulky combo because it's the lighter than a Z rider, easier to maneuver from better visibility, gets into and under more stuff than a Z, and gives you “both” a rider and real WB for less money than a Z.
    Remember not all WB’s are created equal, but this one fits the bill.
    Pete

sulky2.jpg

8. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Thats a good question mate.

I demod an Iseki 32HP 72'' out front last week and WOW! Increases triming capabilitys in a HUGE way.
    The top speed on the unit is around 19km/h (more than any Z I know of)
    Great mower!! I had never used an out-front before and now I know it's gunna be realy good for my buisness.
    Only down side is the high opperator cabbin.

I would say mid mounts have there place for many of the above reasons and I'm sure I'll always run at least 2 but my next major purchase is guna be an Iseki out-front.

9. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll ditto that!

10. olderthandirt

from here

Ok I read whats been posted so far and I would like your comments on this. I looked at the grasshoppers and almost bought one. love them but I have a steiner 230 rear wheel steer that is not a true zero but almost. I believe I can keep up with any ztr WITHOUT tearing up turf on turns and the same for grass hopper. The steiner I'm getting Monday is an articulating front mount. Its not even in the same class as the others, As I said I have no jobs to know what will be better. All the mowing I've done is on my own property. Have any of you guys that love your Z tried something like a grass hopper or walker and if you did you still prefer the mid mount Zs? Thanks

Mac