Mid-range blowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cinquefoil, Apr 5, 2010.

1. cinquefoil

cinquefoil LawnSite Member
    from MA

I am looking at a few midrange blowers, Redmax EBZ5100, Stihl BR 380 D, Husqvarna 150 BT and the Echo PB 500T. I would perhaps consider the Kawasaki KRB 650, but the only dealer in my area is quite small and hasn't been around too long. I know most here use the larger blowers but I would appreciate any input or suggestions on models in this range. It would be used for the usual spring/summer stuff plus for leaves in the fall. It is not for business use. Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  2. kemco

kemco LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Husqvarna 150BT that I keep at my home for my own personal use - I bring it as a backup on a rare occasion one of our 3 commercial blowers is in the shop. For the price (round $325 with tax) this is a great machine. One of our commercial blowers is either the Kawi KRB 650 (I actually think it is the KRB 700) and it has been a great machine. Tax and all I picked it up for under $500 which is a lot less than I spent on either of my other 2 commercial blowers. IMO the extra power from the Kawi is worth the extra $ even if it is for your own personal use if you have a good number of leaves to do in the fall at your home... the power is significantly greater

3. cinquefoil

from MA

I am leaning toward the Remax 5100 or Echo PB 500. Both are carried by a large dealer in my area. The Echo has a 5 year consumer warranty. I'd have to buy the Husky at Lowes and I prefer to buy from a servicing dealer. I also like the Kawasaki, but the two dealers withing reasonable distance haven't be in business very long and aren't large scale power equipment dealers.

Do any of you have any experience with any of these blowers? Thanks for the help.

4. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I've had a stihl BR340 for 6 or 7 years and no problems yet. I also have a BR600 now so the br340 is only brought along during clean-ups incase I need a back up during the day. Th 340 has been a great blower, not the biggest but it gets the job done. The only time I didn't care for it's "smaller" power is when there were heavy/wet leaves on the ground, but you'll have that problem with any of the mid-range blowers you're looking at.

5. cinquefoil

from MA

Thanks for the reply. I checked out the Stihl 380, and the tube movement is stiff and awkward compared to the 550 and 600. I liked the 600 the best, but I don't want to spend that much right now. I know I'm probably not going to get much info here on the models I am considering as most here are pros and have different needs than I do. But I keep hoping someone will chime in with some experience with some of these models. Again, thanks for your input.

6. Shasta Lake Landscaping

Shasta Lake Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

We run 3 Huskqvarna 150bts and there great, they are a commercial blower, same thing as the RedMax EBZ5100-RH, just different engine covers.

7. cinquefoil

from MA

Thanks for the info. I have a local dealer with Redmax so I could buy it from him for the same price as the Husky from Lowes. The dealer doesn't carry any blowers with the rh throttle control because he said doesn't want the potential for problems with the throttle cable. I haven't heard this before, what do you guys think?

8. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

Get the 150BT, you won't be dissapointed. For 300$, it is the best deal out there for a BP blower. I know it sucks to buy something like this at Lowes, but in this case I would, if it were the only option. I have had mine for a couple years now with no issues.

9. cinquefoil

from MA

I can get the Redmax 5100 at a dealer for the same price. If they are the same machine, I think I'd buy it at the dealer.

10. Rivertrail

Rivertrail LawnSite Member

I've bought two 150 bts from Lowes, one year on the first one and six months on the second one. No complaints.