1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

mid season aches and pains

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Organic a go go, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Organic a go go

Organic a go go LawnSite Member

Not being as young as I used to be certainly amplifies all the dings and bumps in being a solo operator. Bursitis in the elbows? Check. Tight and sore hamstrings? Got em. Mystery pain in my ribs? Comin' on strong. Lower back pain? Do you even have to ask.

"I gotta get outta this truck" I say every year. Maybe next year.

On the plus side Im more buffed up at 40-something than I was at 19.

Anybody else more broken down than me?
  2. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been working for myself since I was 22 yrs old...and have always been a working man...on my knees...In the rain ,Mud freezing cold temps...the heat...Its been a wild pile of years behind me...and now past the 50 mark I do feel It In my knees......Ican't bounce back up like I use to...some arthritis In my hip too...but I'm taking glucosamine for that It helps alot. I Think as I got older I became smarter on how to take care of the ole body:)
  3. Elden

Elden LawnSite Member

I don't know what caused it but I have a protruding disk in my lower back. It's been 6 weeks now. Going to see the neurosurgeon Wed. so we shall see how bad I really am.
  4. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

I hope i make it to 50 ........... oh ow that hurts.........some one get me a.......... still look like i am 21.......... it just hurts some times......... wish i had not wrecked that bike at 65 mph.........ow...pop.... crunch....
  5. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I feel your pain (literally) but there is some truth in the old saying "what does'nt kill you makes you stronger". Although I hope to never find out the breaking point.

Ever use a chiropractor? :confused:
  6. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I don't hurt much yet... I am only 24, although my back is hurting a little and I got this pain under my rib cage in my back, but I want and constantly try to keep in mind ways to help keep from hurting too much later on. I have been working hard labor since I was about 15, helping with a construction crew as their do boy/you can sqeeze in there guy. Lot of 20' holes dug and all that good stuff. I am now a FF and as the rest of us out shoveling, bending, lifting everyday.

Any suggestions to help me out in the long run? We had to wear back support belts when I worked for the SC FD, never understood how they were suppose to help though, maybe I was too small, they seemed to not do anything.
  7. treegal1

feed your self a good diet and avoid stress. a little wine wont hurt.LOL, regular preventive medicine. (now that's really funny):laugh:
  8. DeepGreenLawn

what about beer? Isn't 25 when your suppose to start checkups and vitamins and all that good stuff?
  9. DeepGreenLawn

this is from webmd.com

"While for a time it seemed that only red wine had this power, experts now say that any alcohol -- wine, beer, or spirits -- has the same effect. Moderate drinking lowers the risk of heart attack, stroke, and other cardiovascular problems by 25%-40%.":drinkup:
  10. treegal1

yeah thats it just feed your race horse straw in its youth and hope it gets better with age? we are not like wine. you need your veg's now and all the proper supplements, lots of fish and a good balance, no Georgia salad= mac and cheese. if it came from a box bag or jar, it is not what we were meant to eat, just my opinion. i just like the grapa....