mid season letter????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AuburnGuy, Jul 20, 2004.

1. AuburnGuy

AuburnGuy LawnSite Senior Member

I was thinking about sending out a mid season letter something like this (not much detail though)

We are about midway through the mowing season and we appreciate your business… blah.blah…. We just want to make sure we are providing the quality of service you expect. Please let us know if we are falling short in some areas and need to improve. Or there may be some extras services such as shrub trimming you may have a need for. Yada, yada, yada……

Is this a good or bad idea guys?
    Maybe put a referral discount in there also?

2. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

Let the sleeping dog ly. I have a property that I rent and if I contact the renters and ask them if everything is OK I get a huge list of stuff they want fixed. If I dont talk to them they ask for nothing.

3. eshreve1234

eshreve1234 LawnSite Member

I sent one out with last months bills. Got no response from any of my clients. So either I am doing a bang-up job, or they are all real lazy.

4. LIBERTY LAWNCARE 2

LIBERTY LAWNCARE 2 LawnSite Member

Instead of a letter advertising your additional services, why not put a little blurb on the bottom of your invoices.

I usually vary the message on the bottom & include a graphic (I use QuickBooks Pro).

This month I put a shrub trimming message & a reminder to water. We received several calls for shrub trimming from it.

5. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

I think its a great idea.

Statistics have shown that 90% of people will not complain even when unsatisfied, they simple stop using the service.
    (I think Bobbygedd has the other 10%)

Why not give your customers a chance to air any problems or issues they may have before they just dump your service.

I try to contact all my clients at least monthly to discuss any concern or issues they may have.

6. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

yes, an excellent idea. other studies have shown that most people don't realize how satisfied they really are until they are asked to think about it. This would particularly apply if your service is so good that they don't ever think about their yard. The same studies have shown that once you make your customer realize that they are satisfied you'll retain them longer.

Also if you have a customer that isn't satisfied and you can make them satisfied (within reason) then you may have a satisfied customer for life cause now you've made them feel important.

This letter would also be a good way to up-sell and to get them prepared for upcoming seasons (new contracts). If you prompt them to realize that they are satisfied, that is the best time to get them to extend service.

7. EastCoast

EastCoast LawnSite Senior Member

I think it's a great idea BUT, this type of business customers could always see improvements.

I believe a blanket statement on your invoice would be suitable enough, that a semi-annual "How am I doing" letter.

8. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

We are going to send a letter out with our July invoices advising customers about brown patch and grubs and what we offer to fix the problems. Just to try a drum up more business. Then with the August invoices tell them about fall plugging, fertilizing and seeding. I'm sure it will be better than trying to call 30 different customers.

9. Doster's L & L

Doster's L & L LawnSite Senior Member

"We just want to make sure we are providing the quality of service you expect."

I'd change expect to "deserve". Makes 'em feel like they're important to you. "Expect" is a word that will definitely get you into more work to do FOR FREE that you don't want to do. Basically, you will be spending more time getting things perfect than you really need to do.

"Please let us know if we are falling short in some areas and need to improve."

i probably would'nt use this sentence. It makes you sound like you're unconfident in your work. Your customers want you to be firm in what you know about the work you do.

10. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

I did this exact same thing with Junes bills. So far most have come back pretty good. One I had to can because they were trying to get all kinds of free work done.