Mid-Size Advice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by EagleLandscape, Aug 20, 2003.

1. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Hey everyone, I'm new here, so go easy on me:)
    Let me give you a little background on me. I'm 18, almost 19, been mowing yards since I was 13. Currently this summer I've been doing about 35 yards a week by myself, and next summer (2004) I'm going to seriously upgrade my volume.

My rig for next summer will consist of the following, (hopefully).

Toro Mid-Size 44"
    (2) Toro Walk Behind
    (2) Stihl Trimmers
    (2) Stihl Edgers
    (2) Stihl Blowers

My truck is a 2003 F-250 6.0L PowerStroke Diesel, Crew Cab, 4x4, Short Bed, With a 5sp Auto Tranny.

I'm hauling a 16 ft. Tandem trailer that is 6.5 ft. wide.

My crew will consist of me, and 4 other of my friends. Ages ranging from 16 - 20.

My goal is to have a strong customer base somewhere between 120 - 160 yards per week.

Now all that said and done, come the end of this year I will be purchasing that equipment listed above. Any advice as far as Mid-Size's go? Any bad experience with certain engines, or blades, or grips. So on and so forth. And in the Dallas Metroplex, what is the best shop to get the best price for?

Thank for ya'lls time, and I look foward to getting to know ya'll.

John

2. EagleLandscape

Oh I forgot, I've got an echo trimmer and an echo edger, blower, and 2 honda 21 inch decks from this year that I'll be using in my rig for 2004.

3. redbull

redbull LawnSite Member

Good to see your growing. As for the Mid-Size. T bar, floating deck, gear drive, engine is your preference (Kohler or Kaw). You might want to reconsider and look at a 52" instead of 44". It will amaze you how small that 44 is on a yard. Sorry, not from Texas have no idea about a dealer

4. GreenMachine102

GreenMachine102 LawnSite Member

Hey john I'm 18 be 19 in March, welcome to lawnsite!:blob2: :blob1: :blob4: :blob3: :blush: :D :) ;)

5. EagleLandscape

Well I thought about a 52 and such, but the yards here aren't very big. We still charge high $$$ but, they're not very big. Plus I'm concerned about having a deck that is too big to get through the gate to the backyard, anyone dealt with that before?

6. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Jwingfield2K - I only have one piece of advice - "Am going from 35 yards to 120-150"

You had better make sure you can get the 120-150 number of yards under your belt before you buy the equipment to do them.

Guess What - there are people out there bidding on all those yards also that may win. You better get efficient before you get big in your own mind. Not meaning to insult or degrade or discourage, but I do not believe you can count on future business that you do not yet have to make decisions as to what mowers to buy. You will or may end up with a lot of mowers sitting in the garage and nothing to mow!!!!

7. EagleLandscape

Yeah I know, but I am the cheapest (Financially speaking) of any services out here. Plus the name of my company is Eagle Scout Lawn Care (i am an eagle scout), and believe it or not, politeness and courteousy goes a long long way still.
    So that is a HUGE seling point for my customers to chose me. Everyone of my customers this year already had someone mopwing their yard, and cancelled them earlier this year for me.
    When I put out 1000 fliers, I get about a 3.5% response. So that's 35 yards.
    This time I'm going to put more care into the making of my fliers, and put them out alot earlier than last year.

So i figure put out 5000 fliers to be safe.

And as a boy scout, selling popcorn each year I would knock on 4,500 doors to sell the crap. So walking those houses isn't a problem.

But anyone got advice on mowers? I am new to the Mid-Size concept, always dealt with 21" decks.

8. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Only so many people will take the price of a low baller - There are a lot of people out there that do real quality work, and have a reputation, and will win with a higher bid.

Being an eagle scout only means one thing - You have a lot of badges, and you probably also have a wide strap deal that goes over one shoulder to hold them all. May mean you have some get up and go in you, but a lot of people trying to make a living also have a lot of get up and go.

Good luck

9. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Look around and see what other companies are using for equipment.

find an equipment dealer and shop near you and get to know them well.

10. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I wish you all the luck in the world and hope you get the customer base you're shooting for. One word of advice I would give you is to buy the equipment slowly while your business is growing. That way you'll have the revenue coming in to pay for it. The Truck you described is a bit of overkill in my opinion. You don't need a $40,000 truck to pull a 16 foot trailer with mowing equipment from job to job. Yea ...I know a lot of the members of this forum have some really nice towing rigs and some of them won't agree with me. But I just don't see the business sense in investing that much money in a vehicle used to tow a lawn trailer 5-6 days a week when a 1/2 ton 2 wheel drive unit will do the job. If you were going to push snow during the winter ( not much chance of that in Texas) then maybe the expense might be justified.