Mid-sized hedge shears

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turfdude, Aug 11, 2003.

1. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Got myself a new tool (pronounced toy) today. The Little Wonder mid sized trimmer w/ 2' extension. My 7' pair locked up on me and I couldn't afford the downtime to play w/ them today. $459.99 out the door. Hey Pete, I like these better than the echos. They are built by Komatsu/zenoah (redmax).

r0300074.jpg

2. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Here they are w/ some friends. The echos are old as dirt, and not used except for hacking back woody ornamentals. The tanakas are okay, but the redmax 2200's rule!

r0300076.jpg

3. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Looks great! My Redmax whackers are great, so I'm sure your machine is good, too. Didn't know LW make a midsize. I'm sure you'll find yourself throwing away the hand held trimmers once you find out how much more handy the Midsize is.:p
    Good luck and keep us informed on it's productivity........

4. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I am giving up on using hedge clippers except for when I am clearing brush. Hand prune or no prune.

5. Doc Pete

Why?????

6. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Because hand pruning is better for the plants. If they want people to use hedge clippers they can find somebody else. I have one pair, and hopefully will never have to buy another pair. From now on I am only going to use them when I have a plant that is garbage and needs to be hacked back for clearance.

7. Doc Pete

That makes no sense at all. It's personal preference whether to shear or hand prune. I happen to like the look of shearing. Also, a gas trimmer does not kill or ruin a shrub; it’s the guy using it wrong.
    I cut over 2 feet off a 150 foot hedge at work, right back to total wood, and now it’s more dense and beautiful than ever. All my shrubs are doing terrific. Just because “you” don’t like the look doesn’t mean someone else should, too. I guess you have enough work you can tell people to find someone else to prune, I don’t.
    Good luck,

email p7150126.jpg

8. SUPERIOR Lawn Design

SUPERIOR Lawn Design LawnSite Member

Very nice...

9. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I don' think I said anything about the look of it. Quite frankly, I could get the same look you do by hand pruning. My point was that it is better for the plant to hand prune.

10. Hud

Hud LawnSite Member

Personally, I think you can do a great job by hand or with gas powered shears if you've got the skill. Switchless gives an excellent example of what gas powered shears and a competent hand can do, great work! OTH, the clients I work for would kill me if I did that to their bushes. They have old properties with old bushes and trees. They want their shrubs to look good, but they want them to look good without looking like they've been trimmed. And I know you know what I mean :D So I do it by hand, very often, and they're willing to pay for it. $$$$$