Mid-summer crab grass control

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Let-it-mow!, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Let-it-mow!

Let-it-mow! LawnSite Member

I've got a bad case of crabgrass on a baseball field. It was pretty bad on the clay area of the infield but I figured I'd just round that up after a couple of summer baseball camps are done. But it's jumped onto the tall fescue infield.

What works in the middle of summer when the average temp is in the 90's?

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Drive 75 works great!

3. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with indy DRIVE!!!!!!!

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Expensive, but it works. I have crabgrass coming up all over like I've NEVER saw it before. I certainly wish there was a cheaper way to go.

5. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

Drive 75 works well on new crabgrass and larger plants but not on intermediate size plants. Depending on the size of the plant I would recommend Acclaim Extra as another possibility.Be sure and use a spreader sticker also. One more hint if possible irrigate the field 24 hours after the application to promote growth and limit possible damage to the turf. Crabgrass and other weeds have a tendency to close down the growth when it gets this hot. Watering will help this.

6. somo1

somo1 LawnSite Member

Try the new product Q4 by PBI Gordon. It has drive, surge, 2,4-d and Dicamba. I pay about $85/ gal. but a 2.6oz./K it covers the same amount that Drive does for about the same cost. I'm here in S. Missori its about 90-100 degrees and its taking out the crabgrass and other weeds with little effect on the fescue/bluegrass.

7. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Drive for 1st, 2nd, and 5th tiller stage. Acclaim will work on any stage

8. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

yes, around here I use Drive up until early June, then switch to Acclaim until late August, then go back to Drive. Sometimes on small areas I'll mix the two during the transitions, just so I know I won't have to come back. I occaisonaly use MSMA in Sept and during cooler weather.