1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mid Z stability

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by skysthelimit, Apr 29, 2008.

1. skysthelimit

skysthelimit LawnSite Member

I purchased 2 Ferris Mid Z's and have only used hydro walk behinds previously, my question to the experienced user is. The operation manual says not to exceed 15deg mowing on slopes, while moving across the slope and never up & down..My question, is 15 deg accurate, it does not seem like much and if in a pinch is not riding down a slope safer than up, I assume that the rear end is heavy and could flip backwards. I have a JD 4110 compact with a 60" deck that can do 15 deg slopes ! Thanks for any info
  2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

As for traveling sideways on slopes, you'll have to experiment for yourself. Hustlers are short and wide so they are fairly good on slopes. I've mowed ditch walls that would make an OSHA man cringe.

As for going up and down, it just the opposite of what you said. Going up hills keeps the weight on your rear tires; thus giving you good traction. Going down hills shifts the weight to the front tires and oftentimes, you'll start sliding down the hill with no control at all.:cool2:
  3. BentleyOutdoors

BentleyOutdoors LawnSite Member

Hustler makes one of the best hill machines for traction. There weight distrabution is great, I cant speak for Ferris but I am sure just take it easy and you should be fine. 15 deg. isnt bad at all.