1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Middle Tn. mowing prices?

Discussion in 'Network: South' started by hef37087, Apr 1, 2008.

1. hef37087

hef37087 LawnSite Member

I have worked for a landscape company for 12 yrs and have left the career for other things. I have still kept touch with some customers and have been taking on their maintenance for a few years. Starting this year I was handed a few yards to mow. Our area is growing very fast however anyone with a truck and trailer is mowing yards and are calling themselves a landscaper. The average 5 yrs ago was $45....now with so much compatition, I have no clue. Is anyone in the middle Tn area here that can tell me something?
  2. hef37087

hef37087 LawnSite Member

Bump....is anyone here from Tn?
  3. 1993lx172

1993lx172 LawnSite Bronze Member

$35 for a 1/2 acre lot
  4. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

Over in Arkansas I'd say a 35 buck minimum is pretty common, with 45-50 bucks for your small to medium residential yards. Most folks I talk to here still try to shoot for 60 bucks per man hour while on the job. so if you have 2 guys working on a lawn start to finish for 25 minutes, that's a 50 buck yard. Since I achieved that back in the 90's, I'd reccomend higher prices than that, but the market seems to be stuck there.
  5. hef37087

hef37087 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the responces. I was thinking that was about right. I may be underbidding a little, but these are new customers to me that are used to my 80+ yr old father-in-law mowing their yards because he needed something to do and didn't care if he made major money.
  6. driver5

driver5 LawnSite Senior Member

Ive been mowing in Nashville for ten years now. The going rate several years ago was 65 per acre or per hour. Now a days with gas prices as they ar, ive gone up a little bit. Now I wont drop my trailer gate for no less than 40.00 regardless of how small the yard is. Youve got to look at how long your going to be at a yard. How many trees, ditches, depressions, other obsticles, how much edging, debris blowing ect. But dont settle for less than 65.00 for an hour of work.
  7. hef37087

hef37087 LawnSite Member

Thanks driver, sounds like I am a little low. I will see what kind of adjustments I can make.