1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Middle / Upper Class Customers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alpine692003, Sep 9, 2004.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

Uhhhh.. why is it that I find the upper class customers ie) some doctors, lawyers are the hardest customers to deal with?

ie) I've had this doctor customer for about 1yr now, didnt complain about anything. DIDNT have the slightest clue on gardening/landscaping services. My service was $160 a month for her which included 2 times a month mowing and a monthly cleanup. Then she asked me to do some extra work ie) planting 2 new shrubs in the back.. it was $165 extra so the bill came out to $305 for the month of August. I sent out the bill in mid August and I didnt recieve a payment until, I called her today and told her uhh. Its been about a month..

She said, I can't seem to find where you planted the shrubs, I was like uhh its in the back as we said.. lol... "I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS, I CAN'T AFFORD IT ANYMORE." I was like uhh, okay... Just stick with the mowing $30 a service each time.. OKAY, MS.

Then I have the middle class customers that are billed like avg $200 - 400 a month and they dont complain at all ... Io'm beginning to wonder if I should take on freaking upper class customers anymore, they are beginning to annoy me..
  2. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

I'm with you. Most of our collection accounts come from the folks that live in the million dollars homes and have more money then sense. I think that the closer to the salt water they are the more the salt is effecting their brains. I just got a check today from a client that I dropped two years ago. They sent me $100 on a balance of $900. Said it was all they could part with. When I drove by this afternoon there was a brand new SL600 with paper plates dated yesterday. I guess after buying that car ($125K+) they can't pay their past due bill.

Our plan.... NEXT!
  3. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Because some of them are just keeping up with the Jones'.Some are house poor,but want everything the Jones' want.So they see Mrs. Jones has a lawn service,then they figure they're entitled to it also.They didn't know Mrs. Jones is a multimillionare and 400 per month to her is chump change.They're using all of their paycheck to make the house payment,car payments,boat payments,etc.,,and the lawn guy is the last one on their list.
    I speak from experience on this as I have neighborhoods like this.Funny how a written price and a signature needed shuts em up pretty quick.Then it's back to the Murray mower.
  4. alpine692003

Ya, unbelievable..
    ;) ;) payup payup payup
  5. kalyeah

kalyeah LawnSite Member

Has anyone ever tried using a collection agency to get payments owed? Just curious how that would work out.
  6. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

A collection agency would work out great if you wanted to get your money MINUS a 30%-50% fee for collecting it :eek:
  7. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks can be deceiving.

We have a customer that drives a pickup around town....

but also owns a Gulfstream V Jet for the out of town trips. :p
  8. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

I second that. Just because they are a doctor or a lawyer doesn't mean they are wealthy. Sure, they bring in more money a year than the average person, but then they get into debt with the $1.5 million mansion they just bought which they think they can afford because they rake in more money per year. They have to pay more taxes, so it all works out to be about the same as a middle class person.
  9. alpine692003

I didnt think of it like that .. oh well...

:rolleyes: payup :rolleyes: payup
  10. Tim Canavan

Tim Canavan LawnSite Member
    from Houston

Whatever you do, just try and treat them all the same. You never know what someone is like.