1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wayne Offiler, Dec 6, 2000.

1. Wayne Offiler

Wayne Offiler LawnSite Member

In shopping for my first ZTR, I find that most manufacturers offer both types. The outfront deck design is a longer and less manueverable looking machine. What advantage do they have?
    Anyone have experience with both types? I'm looking at 52' models.

2. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I bought a Grasshopper in 1994 and always thought it cut well and nothing could be a whole lot faster...until i bought a mid mount last year. The only benefit I see with the front mount is the ability to mow up underneath stuff. IMO, that isn't all that important considering you are giving up the maneuverability of mid mount.

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

out front and mid mount....out fronts are very adjile and can cut underneth most trees and shrubs,also trim at a faster pace because of your line of stite, mid mount are good for flat out cutting, wide areas, little to no obsticles.depending on what brands ...out front if its tight
    and clutterd, mid if you have room to run.
  4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I would have to disagree with BUSHMASTER. I feel the outfront is very good at getting under trees and such, however they are too cumbersome in small areas. They are usually about twice as long as a mid mount. I have no problems going under trees with my Lazer midmount, just a lapful of pineneedles or whatever.

The outfront is usually a smoother ride. They are both usually fast in the open, so I say they tie in big open areas. They ability to turn in your own length will give the maneuverability benifit to a midmount. The frontmounts are possibly easier to scrape and change blades. With todays vast choices in midmount ZTR's, the frontmount is IMO a dying breed.

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

The line of sight of a midmount is better in my opinion. The deck is right there. Not out in front. I can easily see the deck when cutting next to fence or other obsticle. Plus the midmount is faster. No walker can keep up with the midmount.
  6. Wayne Offiler

Wayne Offiler LawnSite Member

Thanks, guys, for your input. That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Thank God for lawnsite!
  7. SpringValley

SpringValley LawnSite Member

I have a front mount. I have used a mid mount while mine was in for warranty work. I prefer the front mount. It rides better than the mid, the deck flips up 90 degrees to change blades, and it has a much lower center of gravity than a mid. If you have any hills at all, the front mount will make you feel less likely to tip over. I have two small residential accounts that I have no problems with getting my 60" deck into and maneuvering around. My JD F620 has the deck offset 8" to the left so trimming is a piece of cake. I can get between headstones in the cemeteries by just moving the deck in and out between them. Check with your local JD dealer as they have a great finance option right now through the end of Jan.

8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have a Walker and I really like it for the type of mowing that I do. I could get by using a midmount on some of my properties but the time saved would be a wash because I would have to go back and trim.
    I certainly am going to own both some day when the cash is there to afford it. Try both. You are the only one that can really decide what will work for you. Good Luck
  9. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

I think i prefer mid as im sure impressed
    with my exmark but.The real issue is comfort
    and gained ability at operating a particular
    machine.After a while i got so i could thread
    a needle with my old front mount.Icould also
    do things with my murry hydrostate that
    mademe a lot faster.Like driving a truck
    just a matter of learing how.TM COUNTRY