Midwest Blizzard?

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by iowastorm, Dec 3, 2000.

1. iowastorm

iowastorm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

I know it's a little early, but the MRF's latest run just picked up on a low pressure system developing in SE Colorado next Saturday and tracking NE. What caught my attention was the possible sigificant snowfall and extreme cold air that will follow this system: -20* here in Iowa and -30* or more in Wyoming. Not to blow things out of context, but if this system happens to materialize, we could have quite a blizzard on our hands.

Here are the animated links if anybody's interested:

Temperatures:

http://www.rap.ucar.edu/weather/model/displayMod.php3?var=mrf_sfc_temp&loop=1

Precipitation:

http://www.rap.ucar.edu/weather/model/displayMod.php3?var=mrf_sfc_prcp&loop=1

2. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like I'm gonna be movin some snow on or around Dec. 8 and 10th & 11th (If I'm reading that thing right...)

I one of you who CAN read those things well... could you tell me what you think about northern IL from what those charts are saying? Thanks!

-Tim

3. matthew Urban

matthew Urban LawnSite Member

Same for me:
    anyone who can read this stuff, anything headed for western mass?

4. iowastorm

from Iowa

Slim: IF this model is accurate, looks like N IL will be the receiver of alot of snow and cold temps. If you want to keep updated on it, drop me an email and I'll keep you filled in.

Matthew: Looks like this system will pass thru MI and keep going NE. There might be some light snowfall out your way if temps are below freezing. Still pretty early.

5. bighed

bighed LawnSite Member

Iowastorm hopefully you are correct on your predictions. I am in iowa also and as you know last year was terrible for the snow removal business. But hopefully it'll be a little later because my turbo 400 is still at the tranny shop getting rebuilt!!!

6. DaveO

DaveO LawnSite Member

Storm,

Stop teasing us will ya?? We haven't had a winter in 5 years around here...

Dave

7. Rooster

Rooster LawnSite Senior Member

Storm,

When it arrives, send a little to eastern Kansas will you?

Around here, we had to pour salt on the street to see any white stuff (hahaha).

Thanks

8. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

THAT'S BRILLIANT!!! We'll just start dumping enough salt on our accounts so we have to come back and plow! Genius!!!

9. iowastorm

from Iowa

DaveO: It's been a long time since we've had any type of major blizzard. It's funny how 2" will cause people to panic around here. That's why IF this thing materializes, people will be clueless (except the invincibles in their 4wd SUV's).

10. DaveO

DaveO LawnSite Member

Storm,

5 years ago we got 100"+. Set a new record. Only real storm since was April fools storm. Got nothin all year then 26" wet/heavy on April 1st. Last year was about 12" total, most of that in one 6-8" storm.

Your right about the SUV's. Everybody's got one and owns the road.

Dave