Midwest Guys - Fertilizer/Weed Control Schedule + Ride=On Spreader/Sprayer

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawnlandscape, Mar 28, 2010.

1. lawnlandscape

lawnlandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I'm wondering how many apps you guys do and how many visits. KGB is recommended to have 4lbs. N per acre per season. So... I have always done 4 apps of fertilizer. and 2 apps of weed control (spray), one in spring, and once in summer...

Next year I will have a ride on spreader/sprayer. I did not have this before. I am wounding if any of you guys still do the 6 applications, but do them in 4 visits. Just because you can spread and spray for 2 of them anyway. seems like your late spring & fall applications could be fert/weed control applications.

If any of you do this, do you still tell your customers they will be getting 6 applications, but they will happen over 4 visits?

Thanks for your imput!

2. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

We "sell" up to five app's MAX. Other LCO's here are trying to sell 6 & 7 app's...........to me more than five app's is a ripoff. :hammerhead::hammerhead:

Our Program was originally put together by ISU. ISU says, "If you can't get the job done with 4 or 5 app's"..........:confused::confused:

We concur.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

4 or 5 apps are my staple programs. .8lb to 1lb N per trip. All apps include weed control (either pre 1st rd or post all other rounds (some just spot spray))

4. lawnlandscape

from Midwest

Then with those 4 aps, you are spreading and spraying for some of them... right?

Your costs much be much higher per ap then. How do you explain this to your customers.

I think aps and visits are 2 completely different things.

You must have more then 4-5 aps. 1 lb N per ap x 4lbs = 4 visits. That would mean your only doing one weed control ap per year.

If I go to a home, and I spread fert, and spray weed control, I just made 2 applications. Don't you agree?

5. ryde307

ryde307 LawnSite Senior Member

4 apps.
    rd 1 pre and fert
    rd 2 fert, plus weed control spot spraying as much as possible blanket areas in needed
    rd 3 fert, minimal spot spraying weed control
    rd 4 same

6. lawnlandscape

from Midwest

Visit 1:
    Ap 1 - Fert/Pre-emerg

Visit 2:
    Ap 2 - Fertilization
    Ap 3 - Weed Control - Blanket Coverage

Visit 3: (Only for my customers that would like grub control)
    Ap 4 - Grub Control

Visit 4:
    Ap 5 - Lawn Fertilization
    Ap 6 - Weed Control - Blanket Coverage

Visit 5:
    Ap 7 - Lawn Fertilization (Winterizer)

All of my lawn fertilizers are different based on what time of the year they are going down. Applications and visits and completely different meanings. For you guys that are fertilizing and doing weed control in the same visit, and calling it only one application, how are you explaining that to your customers??

How you make your customers understand the difference between your granular fertilization and spray weed control, compared to the guy who uses weed and feed, if you only call it ONE AP.

7. pieperlc

pieperlc LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

We used to do 5 apps-4 fert, 1 weed. Then we bought a PG and did the weed control w/a fert app. Didn't explain anything to the customer as we sold the program as 4 fertilizer applications & 1 weed control application. We never had any complaints. This year we changed things up a bit and sold it as a four app program. Four ferts and two weed apps. Communication is key in my opinion. I sell a green and weed free lawn, not 4, 5, or 6 apps. Do you sell them "visits" or "applications"?

8. SeedPro

SeedPro LawnSite Bronze Member

6 apps
    .75 lbs of N each visit 5 weeks apart

4 apps(commercial...1lb of N each visit with weed control) 6 weeks apart

I also do grub control which is a 7th app but that's done with round 3

9. RABBITMAN11

RABBITMAN11 LawnSite Bronze Member

We do 10 apps round 1 prem. 2 prem split 3 blanket weed control 4 surface insect 5 fert 6 grub and fert 7 sight inspection 8 weed control 9 winter fert 10 sight inspection.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I call an 'app' fert + weed control. The customer will expect nothing less than both on each visit. Yes my per app costs are more this way, but I price to make good profit.

Also, I don't want to be making tons of trips to custs lawns just to apply fert one time, and liquid squirts the next.