1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Midwest Mowing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gl1200a, Mar 11, 2005.

1. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

I'm bidding out my first yearly contract for a 26 acre park. The original contract was for twice weekly mowing through June and once a week after that. My question is how many times do you average mowing in a season? Say for once a week how many weeks is average for a midwest growing season?

Thank you.
  2. metiernan

metiernan LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Over hear in West Central Iowa I usually average 25 cuts per season especially considering how evey thing slows down in August. When I bid on contract jobs I usually figure the bid for 20 cuts unless the grass is known for growing really fast.
  3. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

This is a nice sized job i hope with you calculations you are close. For us it is 25-28 cuttings per year for you it would be 30 about since you get a earlier start than us and a later finish.

4. Dodgemania

Dodgemania LawnSite Member

I would bid it betwee 30-35 cuts a year doing it weekly. In Louisville KY Started April 1 and ended Dec.7. This year it doesn't look like were going to get started until mid April. We had warmer temps in Feb. then we do now.
  5. theturfsurfer

theturfsurfer LawnSite Member
    from mtka,MN

Just north of you I usually get about 26 mowings a season.
  6. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

:) Ill get around 32/34 for mowing, then with the fall cleanups add another 2 per client, 36/37..........Marks Mowing Service
  7. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

OK, thank you very much. I did (in my first year) 27 cuts last season so I'm fairly close. Thank you very much.
  8. lampeslawnservice

lampeslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

I averaged 28 cuts last season. Good luck on the bid.