Might as well get a fixed deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by delphied, Jun 24, 2008.

1. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Dealer told me the only difference in whether a fixed deck 48 scalps or not is all due to the operator. He said the only real reason to buy a floating deck is to make deck height changes easier. Agree?

2. jrush

jrush LawnSite Member

My Scag 48 will scalp with the best of them, so will my 61 if I'm not paying attention.

3. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

the operator is crucial, however after switching to a floating deck i wouldnt want to go back to a fixed deck. theyre great mowers either way, i would suggest to get the fixed rather than go into debt.

4. zMaster225

zMaster225 LawnSite Member

Fixed deck with pistol grips seems to work fine. Anything over 48", id get a floating deck

5. dura to the max

from georgia

true, but stay away from pistol grips. my wrists are killing me from using them sooooo much. get a toro t-bar or exmark ecs.

6. zMaster225

zMaster225 LawnSite Member

Really? I've always used pistol grips.. It seems like a t-bar would be harder to maneuver and control, especially lifting the deck up over and around things

7. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

two words, well technically one word and then a letter: PRO V

8. dura to the max

from georgia

that is the only downside of the t-bar. but it is tons easier to operate. its a lot easier to learn to drive a t-bar. but my wrists kill me now. i just ordered the ecs kit for my tthp. $440 but my wrists are worth it.

9. dura to the max

from georgia

one word: money

if he's lookin at fixed decks it probably b/c of price.

10. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

There are so many Fixed deck Scags around here. I had the 36 and it was a great machine. I have only seen one floating deck Scag around here.